Third party AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Morod, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi everybody,
    I'm buying a new 24" iMac from the local Apple Store this week. I do want AppleCare, but $169 seems like a lot. I see on the web that LA Computer has it for $119 and I saw a copy for sale on ebay with an $81 bid. Has anyone bought this from 3rd party vendors? Is it the same as buying from Apple? Thanks for any help on this!
    Morod
    Update: I also see that Amazon carries Apple software, such as iWork, .mac and others. Has anyone bought from Amazon to save a few bucks? Is it supported the same if buying from Apple? Thanks again.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

AppleCare is AppleCare no matter who you buy it from. LA Computer is a reputable outfit. I bought mine from Small Dog Electronics. As for eBay, I'm skeptical of the twunts who sell things there.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the info, rdowns! You are right about ebay. I don't think I'd be comfortable buying there. I have bookmarked Small Dog Electronics for future reference, but think I will get the AppleCare from LA Computers. It never hurt to save a buck, but you do have to be careful.
    Morod:apple:

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I bought from eBay twice with no issues. You just need to look for someone with GREAT FEEDBACK. You do find deals there but you still need to be careful. Plus if you use paypal they will refund you if you have problems. Like everyone else says it like a crap shoot, but sometimes you get lucky.

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

6. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Just call Apple and ask them if that is the best price they can do. If they won't match the $116 you can get it for elsewhere then go to Apple.com and order it through the Education Section. You just have to pick your school.