Third Party Applications not Installing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Adeiko, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Adeiko macrumors newbie

Hey fellow MacRumors readers :)

Here is my problem, Every new third party app i try to install/open in my MacBook it doesn't work.

I just move the app to the Applications folder // try to open it from the downloads folder, it opens it on the dock, jumping without any window and when i click the icon at the dock it dissapears.

Tried several things:

- Checked that it happens with every new application that i download, they are free aplications and work in another mac. So it's not problem of the app i downloaded.

- Tried creating a new user with admin rights and downloading + opening an app. Same result.

- Disk utility Verify + Repair permisions on the boot disk, Still the same problem. Also checked that i've read/write permisions in the app folder.

- Tried to install the app in the two applications folder /applications and /users/XXXX/applications . Same result.

- Restarted/shutdown the system several times, updated the system software.

One thing that i've seen strange is that, when i try to delete an app installed with app cleaner, it shows me items in the Library preferences etc...etc... When i try with one of the new apps i tried to move to the app folder, it just shows the app.

This is why i think apps are not installing when i move them to the applications to the folder :S

Is there a way to see any logs of this so i can troubleshoot it a little more? Can anyone think of one reason why this is happening? I've an appointment in the Genius Bar Apple Store this week, but I was hoping you could help me without having to make the trip to the Apple Store.

Thanks for any help you could get me!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My bet is that you are trying to run your applications without first installing them from their distribution .dmg disk image files:
    1. Double-click the .dmg file. This will mount the .dmg file on your Desktop and open a window with the downloaded application.
    2. Drag the application to the Applications alias icon if there is one or drag it directly to the Applications folder.
    3. Dismount the .dmg file from the Desktop. You may archive it or discard it--whatever your wish.

3. Adeiko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats not the problem, like i said i moved to both applications folder, the one in the root and the one in the users directory, none of the, worked.

4. Adeiko thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your post suggests the possibility that you didn't, since many who come here with problems like you described are not installing the app properly. Don't get irritated because someone takes the time to respond to your thread and tries to help, especially since there's absolutely no way of knowing in advance what a poster knows or doesn't know. :rolleyes:
    In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

6. Adeiko thread starter macrumors newbie

In this point :

- Tried to install the app in the two applications folder /applications and /users/XXXX/applications . Same result.

It's told that i already moved the app to aplications :S

I know, but it was additional information, not relevant for itself.

here you can see what happens with a trial of 1Password, downloaded 1 minute ago:

http://youtu.be/iidYVogdJz0

Very strange :S

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Perform a backup and do a clean install of Mac OS X. You may have some system components corrupt or damaged. Rather than spend time trying to find which ones, a clean install is faster and more assured to resolve the issue.

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Have you checked to see if there are any helpful messages in the console? Also, you could try starting the programs from the command line using the "open" command - you might get some text output that would give you a hint.

9. Adeiko thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that at least helped me get some kind of error:

http://cl.ly/1b3S3L3X0X0w0U3M1n1u

While almost everybody has the error in a window i see nothing, most people only rebooting // killing finder helps them.

Well, i'll do a research today of what i can do with it, tried lion recovery + disk utility but still have the same problem :(

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One other thought: are you running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? Some apps may not function well in the wrong mode.

Mac OS X: 64-bit kernel frequently asked questions

11. Adeiko thread starter macrumors newbie