third party apps and/or hardware cause disk corruption

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nothapy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Nothapy macrumors newbie

Thanks for reading my thread. Computer I have now is a 500g iMac 11, 2

I had a seagate 1T external HD and my iMac HD kept getting corrupt so I had to repair it then it was fine except it kept happening over and over. I thought it was my computer (which was a referb) so i got that replaced with a brand new one (not a referb) and it still happened. Finally i disconnect the external HD and it stopped....until...

I installed black berry desk top manager and was using it to back up my phone on the iMac. Same thing happened with the seagate...same solution, I installed the software.

My question is this... why won't my mac work with anything? Is there any blackberry users out there who have had success with the blackberry software on a mac? Also, anyone else have problems with seagate? what can i do. What external should I buy?

Also, I'm planning on upping the ram in my machine from 4 to 12 by filling the other 2 slots with OWC 4g ram. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Will my iMac reject the OWC ram like it did anyother third party stuff?

The only 3rd party thing my iMac has worked well with are my bose speakers...

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How did you know it was corrupt? How exactly did you repair it?

3. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a verify disk

then i did a repair disk with the install dvd

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you did a verify disk, what message(s) did you get that told you the disk needed repair? Did you boot from your internal drive or from the DVD when you verified or repaired the disk?

5. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember exactly what it said but it said the HD was corrupt and an error was found.

I booted from the DVD to verify and repair

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's important to know exactly what the error messages are, since some can simply be ignored and don't indicate that your drive is corrupt. When dealing with any issues on your computer, knowing the exact text of error messages helps you pinpoint the problem and find the solution.

Mac OS X: Disk Utility incorrectly reports disk errors on startup volume (disk)
    Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

7. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

I know something was wrong because the computer would freeze and I would have to do a hard restart. Also, t would freeze again, very quickly if i did not run a repair disk.

I could try and install the blackberry desk top manager again to test it. But i took back the seagate external so I can't duplicate that problem

----------

Also, your web link about disk utility being incorrect indicates that happens when you don't check the disk by booting for the dvd. I did boot from the dvd (as i mentioned earlier) so the disk error is correct.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Still, you need the exact error messages to determine the source of the problem.
    Read the messages that can be ignored in the other link.

9. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

10. sawihsiwi macrumors newbie

Error 10810

I am getting the same error message. It prevents me from opening other applications and computer becomes considerably slow. When I reboot (apple menu>restart) everything seems to be okay but soon (30 min. to an hour) problem occurs again.
    According to Disk Utility my hard drive seems to be fine. I have yet to figure out what triggers the error.
    Could really use help here. Thanks.