Third party apps utilizing the front facing camera?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by AbjectEvolution, Jun 25, 2010.

1. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Anyone know if Apple allows third party devs to create apps that use the front facing camera? I ask because it would be nice if something like Skype could use it so that I have another way of video chatting with people since no other platform uses FaceTime right now.

2. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

I don't believe I've seen any so far. If only Skype would update their App to include Facetime or the front facing camera. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

3. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

Skype real needs to update with video conferencing

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I did belive Steve said the Face Time will be open ill have to rewatch it and see again.

5. doink123 macrumors member

6. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    That does nothing to bring communication between the desktop and the iPhone 4...( the topic of this thread )

EDIT: Well, I hope its the topic......Otherwise kinda like a boat without a direction. ( it floats, but who cares and what it the friggin point anyhow? )

7. SteveHiggs macrumors newbie

Still on topic

Actually, technically the original poster asked "Anyone know if Apple allows third party devs to create apps that use the front facing camera?" and linking to the mirror app does help to answer that question.

The app is useless, I'm sure we can all agree on that, but it does prove that third party developers can interact with the front facing camera. This will hopefully be built upon with skype, windows live, maybe even a native iChat by Apple? Here's hoping.

8. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    OK...I can see your point

By the way Increadibooth does this and its kinda cool