Third Party Bands Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by applegeek01, Mar 10, 2015.

1. applegeek01, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

applegeek01 macrumors 6502

2. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

"The big draw for third-party bands will be the ability for customers to purchase the entry-level $349 Sport model and upgrade to a stainless steel or leather band for much less than Apple’s official bands."

I like that! Especially since I've decided on the Sport Watch :D

3. imnick macrumors newbie

I'm hoping for someone to put out a brown leather band for the space gray sports watch to look something like this.

[​IMG]

4. docprego macrumors 65816

As long as third party bands aren't somehow restricted by Apple (and I can't think of how or why they would be), we will see a TON of third party options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see bands equal to or better than Apple's in quality and appearance for a fraction of the cost.

Think iPhone case variety and you will have some idea of the multitude of options we have to look forward to.

5. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I don't see how they'll be able to stop the flood.

6. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I agree that there will be TONS of options, but not sure that I agree that they'll be equal or better for a fraction of the cost. I've purchased lots of watch bands in my life, and it's primarily a get what you pay for situation. There's a big difference between a $25 leather band and a $150 leather band. By all accounts, the Apple bands are very high quality.

7. docprego macrumors 65816

You may be right, I may be crazy.

Look at the Apple silicone case for the 6 and 6 plus. Sells for $39, I got it for free with my phone (would not have bought it at the price). I vastly prefer my $4 TPU case I bought online.

8. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure we can use that as an example. Leather and steel fashion goods are a different matter. Hirsch straps are a nice middle line between quality and price, but I doubt they'll be making one that is Apple compatible with the connectors.

You'll notice the same thing if you look at leather half cases for cameras on eBay. $30 gets you crap, $80 gets you ok, and $200-$300 gets you really nice.

9. docprego macrumors 65816

Fair enough but I am very confident that 3rd party options will emerge at much lower cost and more than acceptable quality.

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm okay with paying ~$150> for a steel link band.

I am not okay with paying almost as much as the watch itself for the steel link band.

My value is in the technology, the ecosystem; strapping it to my arm shouldn't cost more than all that R&D.

Can't wait until the 3rd party options flood the market.

11. TETENAL macrumors member

Maybe they have a patent on the strap attachment mechanism.

12. jmrdmd macrumors newbie

I'm sure that there are already companies in China poised to bang out a slew of bands!!

13. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Indeed.

14. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

That didn't stop a **** ton of companies from producing both lighting and 30-pin connectors outside of the MFi program.

We might be in luck :cool: