Third Party Bands

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Jacc Sparrow, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Jacc Sparrow macrumors member

Jacc Sparrow

I was wondering if anybody plans on buying any third party bands? I know that Casetify.com has custom bands. And Amazon has some floating around. I placed an order for a Milanese loop for 74.99 and a black sport band for 34.99. I hope that once the apple watch has been out for a while there are some really good quality third party bands.

2. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

3. pragmatous macrumors 65816

My concern with this is how do they know they got the molding right? I doubt apple said "hey here take a sample of ours". I'd wait until the watch is out there and apple licenses the patent out for others to use to make bands. I read their site and they do not mention where they got it from. Is it a guess? Did apple give them the specs? I would think if apple gave them the specs that would be the first thing to mention. "Apple trusts us to make quality products and provided us the schematics to make the mold" ... Like that's pure gold right there but they didn't say that now did they?

4. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I'm looking forward to the adapter to let you use any 22mm watch band.

They already have one on kickstarter.

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Yes. I am a big fan of aftermarket accessories, will probably end up with one of the cheaper Amazon offerings when they go live.

6. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Has anyone purchased a casetify product before? There are a bunch of watch band designs up already and I'm considering order one. Any thoughts?

7. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I bought a black stainless steel watch. And took a chance and ordered a generic white band from Amazon for about $15. Hoping it works out well. But I will wait to see who else ends up making bands for this watch. As of now, the white and black sport band is fine for me.

8. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I will almost certainly get third party bands, but I will also wait until the watch is out so I can know that these bands actually fit well. If I really REALLY can't wait to get another band, I'll get a leather loop from Apple.

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

I definitely plan on it, after I see reviews of the final products.

10. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Third Party Bands

Speaking of reviews, be careful. Some of those Amazon vendor bands have been bundled onto older, completely unrelated products that had a bunch of reviews.

11. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Let us know how it works out! :)

12. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

13. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

When are you expecting it to ship? I was also interested in Click. Please do a detailed review if you can :)

14. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I backed for 2 Clicks, they have a timeline posted on KS. Looks like about a month wait from the launch of the watch. I just found out about it today lucky it had completed yet on KS. I figured I'd take the risk to be able to use any 22mm band.

4/24 - 5/12 Testing and making adjustments
    5/15 - Manufacturing
    5/24 - shipping

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Good point- how would anyone be able to review them yet? Lol

16. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Third Party Bands

When I first saw the bands on Amazon that had 100+ reviews, I really believed lots of people had ordered them and were reviewing them based on apparent build quality, materials, whatever. It wasn't until I started clicking around on different "colors" that I realized the bands had been added on to pre-existing product pages for things like iPhone cases. I'm surprised Amazon lets them do that.

At least Amazon started suing fake review vending sites this week.

17. ivandr macrumors regular

Looks like a great product and I'll probably back it once I check out the campaign more fully in the AM but that shipping timeline worries me. Having seen many a delayed kickstarter, that time frame seems ripe to slip... Particularly with hitting their funding goal multiple times over.

18. ender78 macrumors 6502

The 3rd party band market is likely to be as big as the case market. Just trying on a few different bands during my appointment today made me think I may want to have 2-3 bands for different occasions.

19. Teach4 macrumors 6502

Teach4

Do you know the measurement of the Caseify bands? I need a longer band.

20. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Without a doubt I won't get anything that isn't officially from Apple until a few weeks after release. I've been burned before by stands and cases for the iPhone. Right now it's best effort guess work ... don't want to waste money.

However, down the road I am strongly interested in 3rd party bands. They will have crazier options much cheaper.

21. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

That's tempting. I like the blue leather one.