Third Party Batteries?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MOKHAN, Nov 22, 2011.

1. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

It seems to me, from searching, that most people tend to stick to the Apple branded ones

Does anyone have experience with the ~$30 ones off of ebay? How are they?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Honestly, (this is from what I read) It is not worth it. There are too many things that can go wrong. I would get a genuine battery but get fake cables. Anything power related makes me nervous.

3. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I bought a battery from focalprice.com and after doing the suggested calibration by apple, the battery's capacity dropped to 89% - 90% after fully charging it with only 2 load cycles on the clock! Focalprice was willing to take it back and they would pay for most of the shipping charge by issuing a $10 store coupon code once they've confirmed shipment back of the battery. I haven't returned it yet because I got busy with other things so I don't know if this was a fluke with this battery or they're all like that. The other thing to note is that the color does not mach the macbook. The 3rd party replacement battery is much whiter. Build quality is of course less than what you would expect from apple as the undercover of the battery is sealed with glue rather than having both glue and screws. The entire battery does feel lighter than the original and I wouldn't expect it to last 490 cycles like the original battery but for $40 and finding one that has a charge capacity at 100% it's not a bad deal.

4. MOKHAN thread starter macrumors 6502

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apple Only Batteries

For me too, but I won't buy RAM from them....The same stuff is available far more cheaply elsewhere, and I has no warranty penalty either.

7. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe look at my "MacBook caught fire!" thread and ask yourself if it's worth the uncertainty.

I'm 99% sure my battery is/was a genuine Apple one, but unlicensed batteries seem a very bad idea now I've seen up close what can happen when batteries go wrong.. Who knows what quality checks 3rd parties go through with their products? :/

8. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

yea, i don't think it's worth it. They lose they're life much more quickly and like someone above said too many things could go wrong. It could decided to light on fire and I'm sure the battery maker wouldn't reimburse you

9. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I read that thread and wasn't that an OEM apple battery? So really if that's the case then it's still a gamble because of manufacturer defects that could have gone unnoticed and don't forget that most likely the same components are used in these knockoff.

10. gertruded macrumors regular

I purchased one from OWC for my early 2009 Macbook and am satisfied.

11. MOKHAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Based on what I've heard so far, I'll stick to Apple

But, besides OWC, anybody have a third party battery (like the ebay ones)? I would like to hear some first hand experience. I'm pretty sure the guy whos Macbook caught fire had an OEM battery

12. eman macrumors 6502a

I have bought many third party batteries off Ebay for Apple macbooks without one issue (all have worked great). On the other hand, I have bought many third party chargers off Ebay and 90 percent of them don't last more than two months before dying.