Third-party battery experiences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tu13es, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Tu13es macrumors regular

Looking for a new battery for a 2006 MBP. $129 seems a bit high for a 4 year old system. Has anyone bought one of the third party batteries from eBay ($50-$70), or a NuPower / FastMac TruePower ($99) battery?

It won't see tons of use as it's generally plugged in, but at this point the current battery is dead and can't even be moved from one outlet to another without powering down.

2. maladroit macrumors member

I've dealt with FastMac before--kind of. I ordered one of their brand batteries because it was cheaper, however, apparently they were out of stock at the time and sent me an Apple battery for the same price.

So, for what it's worth, they were good to deal with and took care of me. A lot of users on here say good things about FastMac, which is why I went with them in the first place.

Hope that helps, at least a little.

3. Tu13es thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, maladroit.

Anyone else have experience with one of these?

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Was wondering what anyone else had to say about this battery? I know it's for a MacBook but I figure they are about the same and I didn't want to start a new thread about it.

NuPower for MacBook

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I actually ordered a NuPower from the US last week and I'm expecting it to arrive today. It's a lot cheaper than the US$169 that Apple NZ wants!

I'll try to follow up tomorrow with initial charge impressions, then again in a week or so. Of course, that won't help long-term but it should still provide a bit of an indication.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Thanks!

I'm at 514 cycles on my original in a Macbook late '07 and it's not holding a charge very well... and a new battery from Apple is $129. I figure $99 for something with a one year warranty and an apparently 10% better battery life sounded good.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, it didn't turn up today. FedEx doesn't provide service where I live so they transferred it to a partner carrier... that also doesn't provide service here. Good job, FedEx!

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We're off to a good start... (no, I don't trust it, but I haven't calibrated it yet).

Attached Files:

9. matttung macrumors member

Woah that looks good- which Macbook are you using with the NuPower battery?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15" 2.33 C2D from October 2006. MBP2,2 if you want the technical name.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm getting approximately 4 hours general browsing with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. I'll be at a conference next week so it'll be interesting to see how long it runs with just Word running for note taking, and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth turned off.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As promised, some results now that the battery's had a chance to "settle in". I'm at 14 cycles and get about 5 hours with Wi-Fi enabled. I mentioned above that I would be trying it at a conference; as it happened we had power sockets at each table so it didn't end up being a very good test!