Third Party Cables

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by HarshK, Sep 22, 2013.

1. HarshK macrumors newbie

Lighting cables (fake) that I bought from eBay are not working on my 5s, yet they work on my brother's 5 running iOS7. I'd like to take the fake one to work and keep the legitimate one at home, in case you're wondering. Am I the only one?

Thanks.

2. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I'd like to know as well, especially if the ones from DX work since i have a few of those that worked with my 5 and four more on the way.

3. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I have the iPhone 5 and ever since I upgraded to iOS 7, with my 3rd party accessories, I've been getting pop up notification from iPhone about the accessory not certified. I wasn't getting the notification before with iOS 6 although it still works but it is kind of annoying now. :rolleyes:

4. johna1234 macrumors member

Yep, same problem here. The third party cables worked but gave a warning message. Now on the 5s, I get the warning message but it doesn't charge. Apple really knows how make you go and spend money. Is there any way to get these to work? I have like 6 chargers that are now useless lol

5. seble macrumors 6502a

I'll be annoyed if they don't work, I spent £20 (roughly $35) on a Belkin extra long cable (I hate the short apple cables for charging by my bed) and I'll be mega annoyed if it doesn't work!

6. fark macrumors regular

Shame on Apple for over reacting to two people being electrocuted in Chine from cheap, uncertified cables.

7. trillville macrumors newbie

Monoprice is the way to go for third party cables. They're Apple certified, super cheap, and incredible quality. All of my Apple lightning cables have ended up not working after a few months, but I've had the Monoprice cables for about 7 months and they still work like a charm.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=lightning

8. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

That is always been one of my pet peeves with the iphone cables.

Why does Apple give me such a wonderful super long charging cable for my MacBook Pro??

But on my iPhone it's so short??:confused:

9. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I'm pretty sure the Belkin ones would be approved to work with Apple's products. It's more than likely the ones that people buy for very very little $$ that are not approved as they didn't get the necessary licensing required by Apple.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Can anyone confirm if these work with the new leather cases from Apple? I measured per the dimensions Monoprice gives and it seems close, so I'm curious for real world reports before ordering.

11. seble macrumors 6502a

It does bug me. However having said that, if you want to extend your iphone one. Plug the thick macbook cable into (if you have one) ipad charger brick then the usb cable into that, and you got yourself a long iPhone cable! But still verrryyy annoying!

12. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I'm seeing some reviews pop up on Amazon for 3rd party cables (from Belkin, for one) saying these are not working with the 5s. Can anyone with a 5s confirm if any 3rd party cables are working? I just ordered a belkin for the car and a 3m ismooth and I'm hoping I won't have to send them back.

13. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Only apple certified products will work with the 5S. Apple wants everyone to pay them their licensing fee. This means more expensive accessories for us.

14. johna1234 macrumors member

Has anyone verified that these work with the 5s? Just wanna make sure before I waste more money on chargers. Thanks guys

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

If they say they're MFI certified, then they should work fine. Otherwise you have solid justification to send them back. I understand wanting confirmation before spending the money on shipping, but Monoprice is generally a solid stand up company and you should have no problems returning any cables that didn't work.

16. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Bought a 6ft cable manufactured and fold by amazon. Great quality and no issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379940880.497520.jpg

17. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I have one of these, they are superb, I'd probably say that the quality is better than apples.
    The only slight issue (and I havnt come across it yet) is that the connector is bigger than apples, so while it's stronger, it may not fit with some cases.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Received my Monoprice cables today. 3ft and 6ft.

They work fine with my 5s with iOS 7.0.2 and Apple Leather Case.

19. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Does that Amazon cable work with iOS7 and 5s? Granted, it's only about $5 cheaper than Apple.

20. Nedlman macrumors newbie

Bought a griffin cable yesterday, works great with 5s

21. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Yes,
    For future reference all product description and or box descriptions that say "Apple Certified" or "MFi Certified" MFi certified means Made for iPod or iPhone or iPad. Hope that helped.

22. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Helped me ;-) Thanks.

23. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Third Party Cables

Make sure it is a reputable company. Some companies say they are Apple certified/ approved just to make people buy it.
    Your welcome.

24. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Works on mine just fine.

25. kowen14 macrumors member

I have 2 different third party ones. One from Amazon doesn't work but one from eBay does. 5s here. All worked on 5.