Third Party Graphics Drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Arkanok, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Before you all tell me "This has been asked hundreds of times already," which I'm sure it has, I have attempted a brief search on this topic with no results. I'm at work, so I can't really spend tons of time searching and digging through the forums.

With that said, I did one day come across a thread where someone mentioned third party graphics drivers for boot camp that work better than the default ones. Whether this is true, I don't know, but can someone enlighten me and let me know if it is? If so, pass on a link please!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I have a 2.2 ghz SR MBP. It has the 8600 GT m card I believe.

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

5. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Be sure to follow the instructions.;)

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

How often does Nvidia release new laptop drivers? I know they usually release new drivers for their desktops about every 2 months or so (give or take a month).

7. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

They don't (at least not to you and me). It's up to the makers of the laptop to supply the drivers. However, often times these drivers are very outdated.

8. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah exactly.

In all fairness though, the default windows xp graphics drivers work pretty good anyways. I get some pretty high FPS in most games I've played thus far. I only wish that the graphics drivers would be updated for os x itself to have performance comparable to the performance while running windows.

I installed the Windows version of Doom 3 under boot camp, and installed a friends copy of the mac version. After updating the game in os x and ran it, I only got about 40 fps with full settings, which ain't half bad; however, in windows with the same settings, 90!

Bah, whatever though, I'm not really into computer gaming anyways, so in the end its not that big a deal.

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Well that's crappy. And Im sure the chances of Apple updating their drivers are zero. Thank God for laptop2video or whatnot.

10. metropolitim macrumors member

FWIW, Apple updated the Boot Camp drivers a few times while it was still in beta. I don't know how many of those included video driver updates....but I'd think they'll continue updates with the release version too.

Not that I'm a big fan -- I like the computers and the software, don't have much use for the company -- but it seems likely based on past performance...

11. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I believe the drivers that come with boot camp for Penryn MBPs comes with newer drivers than with the older MBPs, but Apple has not made these available to everyone without Penryn MBPs (and I doubt they will).