Third party keyboards crashing messages and Safari

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nooaah, Feb 3, 2015.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I haven't seen anything recent on this. No acknowledgement in 8.1.3 or the latest 8.2 release notes. Has anyone figured out how to at least reduce the crashing frequency outside of just not using multiple keyboards? I use swiftkey and emoji and I get messages freezing no less than five times a day now. Just reverted back to the horrible stock keyboard.

Thanks in advance and sorry for a repost if I missed a relevant thread.

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

There's really nothing you can do about it on the current release of iOS. It's just buggy. Some anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that it's improved in 8.2, but I would like to see that confirmed by more people and I wouldn't suggest installing a beta operating system just to fix this one issue.

3. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

It's getting infuriating since it affects productivity. Totally sympathetic if its a deep bug but it just shouldn't be an available feature in its current state. Bummer.

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Very true. Go look at the reviews for all the major third-party keyboards in the store. SwiftKey currently has 2.5 stars and everyone is just railing on the developers for all the bugs, even though they are all Apple issues the SwiftKey team has no control over. To make matters worse, since the App Store review page doesn't work correctly with third-party keyboards, every single person who goes to review gets extra-annoyed when they can't even write the review using the product they're reviewing. Lots of 1-star reviews for that alone.

It's not fair to developers to release such a buggy API. The same thing happened with the initial version of the iCloud data syncing API. It just plain didn't work, Apple didn't provide any support to developers when it didn't work, so developers just ended up shouldering the blame.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You're not alone bud. I have Swype and Fleksy and am holding off on using them until the 3rd party API is fixed by Apple. I have also heard that 8.2 seems to correct this.

6. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

I can hereby confirm that 8.2b5 does NOT fully correct 3rd party keyboard bugs (specifically with messages still needing to be force quit periodically), but it does improve it significantly over previous builds. Still can't write app store reviews with 3rd party keyboards.

Tested with Swype and Swiftkey.

7. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I'm still having all same issues as above, (using SwiftKey) I had hoped that 8.1.3 would've fixed it....it's better but still so buggy :(

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, I'm using Nintype on 8.2 b.5. While it's a lot more stable now, there are still things here and there.

There is probably an issue behind them not letting you use it in the App Store. There are other apps I use that don't like them either.