Third Party Keyboards still terribly laggy

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by thedeejay, Nov 19, 2014.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Is anyone else finding their experience using third party keyboards quite terrible? I'm really hoping by 8.3 it's smooth but at this moment its terribly slow and glitchy. Sucks because I've gotten so used to using Fleksy :(

2. Ardmanz macrumors regular

I'm using swype and have been since I got my 6 and haven't had any lag related issues.

3. sethlution macrumors regular

I've used Swype, Swftkey and Fleksy interchangeably and I don't notice any noticeable lag at all. I'm on a 5S by the way.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I agree with the others. I've been using Swype almost exclusively for the past three or four weeks and before that I tried at least three or four other third party keyboards and I never noticed any lag.

I have seen other keyboard issues though. Occasionally the keyboard simply doesn't come up or it magically switches to the Apple keyboard for no reason. It's been getting better with each iOS update and I'm on the iOS 8.2 beta right now and I haven't had any issues in the last day and a half.

5. highlightshadow macrumors regular

With 8.2 is the alignment issue gone in messages too?
    As in if you have a picture from someone and a message the scroll is misaligned to not show last message

I'm getting sick of having to relaunch messages all the time because of this and the keyboard > stock issue

6. macduke Suspended

macduke

I try the third party keyboards about every two weeks and they always have problems so I disable them again. It's just not worth it at this point for me. Is the issue device-specific? I have a 6 Plus.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

They've gotten much better since launch (probably due to a combination of individual updates and iOS updates), but sadly they still haven't quite met that level of everyday usability for me. I keep SwiftKey, Swype, and TouchPal installed so I'm notified of updates and I try them out every so often. I'm hopeful they catch up with Android keyboard quality soon.

8. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

The biggest issue Ive had is in spotlight search, custom keyboards lag behind the search bar when popping up and sometimes don't show up at all, leaving me with a search bar and no way to type in it. Ive been using SwiftKey almost exclusively, because its a damn good keyboard.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have more trouble with Fleksy bringing up the keyboard blank then I do with Swype.

Also, does iOS Fleksy have the fullscreen keyboard like Android? I'm guessing no.

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

ive given up on fleksy i like the swiping but when im trying to type something quickly and the keyboard refuses to pop out i want to smash the phone in a million pieces. so i uninstalled them.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

especially in messages. Fleksy either freezes or comes up blank. annoying actually considering its a pretty cool keyboard.

12. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Third party keyboards on iOS are a terrible experience if you type in landscape like I do. The landscape bugs with third party keyboards I have tried are all the same and pretty much makes them totally unusable for typing in landscape.

13. jredecop macrumors 6502a

14. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Fleksy is surprisingly useful and one can type quite fast once you get accustomed to it. Unfortunately, I do notice that lag is terrible during spotlight and sometimes it doesn't pop up and reverts to the Apple keyboard. Weird!

Along with other issues in iOS 8 such as the cursor precedes the text field in messages and the status bar problem. Do Tim Cook and Jony not experience these everyday struggles that we do? That's the real question. Was excited for iOS 8 but at this point it still blows.

15. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

No lag issues on the Swype, Path Input 3rd party keyboards on my iPad mini2 running 8.1.1
    I did notice that mainly the App Store for reviews (ofcourse after the password entering which can only be done with the Apple keyboard) still does not work good. I can type but don't see the words and the keyboard is on 70% of the screen. I always have to switch to the standard keyboard.

16. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

Minuum is updated to 1.3 version and got more layouts bug fixes etc.

but i can't write a comment under a photo on Instagram.. The keyboard crashes immediately..There are not any issues with other apps..Just Instagram

can you please check it?

17. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Is that a paid application?

18. blue rocket macrumors 6502

blue rocket

Some keyboards are better than others... but I do think they are getting better. I've been beta testing Themeboard and designed a few themes for it, should be out early December... it's probably the 2nd best keyboard i've used other than the Apple keyboard, wait until you see how nicely they implemented Emoji, among other things.... oh, and it's FAST!

19. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

yes it is

20. Nerdface Killah macrumors member

I still see the problem where you're in messages and using SwiftKey where the keyboard doesn't even show up it just disappears, you can't even type. I have to kill messages and then restart it and the keyboard shows up but it takes it sweet time.

21. rodknocker macrumors 6502

I tested different 3rd party keyboards. First of all:

3rd party keyboards often feel like foreign substance. They crash very often. And there is no support for voice dictation.

• Apple Keyboard:
      predictive suggestions are very good, but there is no flow input and the design of the keyboard looks very outdated.

• SwiftKey:
      has very accurate flow input, but there are only 2 designs. SwiftKey crashes very often.

• Minuum:
      many beautiful designs. But predictive suggestions are very bad compared to the Apple Keyboard.

• Fleksy:
      innovative gestures. Predictive suggestions are actual unusable.

• Swype:
      Flow input less accurate than SwiftKey. But more designs then SwiftKey. Different Languages are separately and not one layout as in SwiftKey.

Conclusion of 3rd party Keyboards:
    There is still some work to do. 3rd party keyboards need access to voice dictation and crashes should be minimized.

22. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

Fleksy is crashing one a day..when i'm typing a message or switching to emoji screen..suddenly Apple keyboard popping up.. both Fleksy and iOS issues i think..

23. Agent-J macrumors regular

I upgraded my 5 to iOS8 just so I could use Swype. When it works, I love it. But the Messages app crashes (no keyboard or unresponsive) about half the times I try to use it. It's not gotten noticeably better since 8.0, at least for me.

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have both Fleksy and Swype. Swype seems to less buggy/glitchy for me. Apple definitely needs to optimize the 3rd party keyboard API.

25. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Swype is better for me as well, but I really like Fleksy and its ability to use space by swiping right and deleting by swiping left. It really speeds up the process. Especially on a device like an iPad where swiping continuously can be kind of a pain. Let's hope for fixes in future iOS versions (8.2/8.3)