third party lightning cables

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by white4s, Sep 26, 2013.

1. white4s macrumors 65816

I just got my 5s so time to replace the cables. what is the deal with these 3rd party cables, are they still not safe or was it just a warning from apple?

2. kalt macrumors regular

I wanted a coiled cable so I got one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A47AWBQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great, haven't had any problems. In fact I have two of them, I've had one for my iPad 4 for a while now. No clue why Apple doesn't make a coiled cable (i can see them selling it separately as a premium item for $49.99).

I have heard some of the really cheap 3rd party ones that cost like $3 don't always fit well, but these coiled cables are the only non-apple lightning cables I've used. But they work great and seem to be high quality. I have no affiliation w/ the company that makes them, just to be clear.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The ones that are MFi certified should work just fine.
    Ones that aren't generate a warning and some have said that they don't work at all after iOS 7 but all of my cheapy cables are still working fine in iOS7 even with the warning.

4. mchammer187, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

mchammer187 macrumors newbie

My third party cables still charge my iphone 5 fine but do not charge the 5s at all.

I get the warning for both.

My At&T branded car charger does not work either which stinks because I thought for sure it would have been MFi certified.

5. BConvery macrumors regular

This for me as well....

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Check your warranty on it and if still in warranty march that right back to AT&T for a refund. With some non-name stuff off ebay you take your chances, but given the premium AT&T charges on accessories that's completely unacceptable.

7. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

All mine are ok!

A cheap one from amazon, amazon's own all work find on my 5S ios7.0.1..

I am in the UK tho... wonder if that makes a difference?

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Installed 7.0.2 and 3rd party cables still working on iPhone 5.
    Maybe it's an actual hardware problem with the 5S rather than anything in iOS 7?

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Can't go wrong with Monoprice.com. --their Lightning cables are duly licensed and logo'd.

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Leaving my 4s, and coming to the 5s, is making me replace all my 30 pin devices.

One thing I was not looking forward to replacing was my Car Charger. It was a no-name one that I used to charge my iPod, and Iphone. Not used all the time, but was nice to have in a pinch.

I received this 30 pin to Lightning adapter today and was glad it fit, worked, and didn't cause any not compatible warnings.

It fits perfectly in my Apple Leather 5s case.

eBay for $3.69 and very fast delivery. Highly recommend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390538666454

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Monoprice 3ft and 6ft cables received today. All work fine, all fit the Apple Leather Case just fine, no squeezing or anything.