Third Party Monitor recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dingamahoo, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dingamahoo macrumors member

Hi, all. I do all my work on my black Mackbook, but am tired of the small screen and feel the need to plug into something bigger.

This is mostly for work stuff--word processing, browsing and research, mostly. The Apple displays are a bit pricey for this stuff and more than I really need, so I was looking at third party displays, though I'm worried about getting something incompatible.

I was looking at this Samsung, but the reviewer's comment at the bottom scared me off: http://amzn.to/etbZJg

Does anyone have a good recommendation for something under $300 that would work well as a peripheral for the Mackbook?

Thanks so much.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Considering he keeps referring to the monitor as a Sanyo, I would say it's safe to disregard his review. Unfortunately, there is no intellectual prerequisite to submit reviews. I have a Samsung monitor and it works perfectly with my MacBook Pro. Just make sure you have the proper adapter for your MacBook and you'll be fine.

3. dingamahoo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Scorpien. I'm going to pull the trigger on the Samsung. And by the proper power adapter, I assume you mean the apple power adapter that came with the Macbook, right?

Again, thanks.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

No, what skorpien was referring to is the adapter needed to connect your MacBook to the monitor. I believe your MacBook has a mini-DVI port (the newer unibody MacBook/Pros have a mini-Displayport) and you will need an adapter to go from mini-DVI to the monitor's __________ port. The blank is for connector type on the monitor, either VGA, DVI, Displayport or HDMI. It appears the Samsung BX2331 that you've chosen has VGA, DVI, or HDMI. I believe that for Mac use the DVI port is the best choice. You can get either an adapter that adapts the two types of connectors to each other and then connects to a cable connected to the monitor or you can get a cable that goes from one connector type to the other. You can get Apple branded adapters or cheaper 3rd party adapters or cables. Monoprice.com is a good inexpensive 3rd party source.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

No, I meant the display adapter. You'll need a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

Edit: Thanks, DewGuy1999, for the clarification :)

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/monitors/LS23X3HKFY/ZA-features

That's the features page for that monitor from the Samsung website. It has both DVI and HDMI inputs. Also note that it says Mac Compatible on that very same page.

6. dingamahoo thread starter macrumors member

Again, just saying thanks to both of you for taking the time to share your advice. Really appreciate that.