Third party notifications on Apple Watch 3 on cellular

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by orangeyouglad, Sep 13, 2017.

1. orangeyouglad macrumors newbie

I've done a fair bit of searching so apologies if this question has already been asked or if the information is readily available. I don't currently have an Apple Watch so I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of the settings either.

That said, do you guys think that the Apple Watch Series 3 will be able to receive mirrored third party app notifications when the watch is away from the paired iPhone? Or, if the iPhone is turned off?

The only official information I was able to find on this is Apple's website where they say, "Leave your phone at home and still get alerts from your favourite apps."

Thanks!

2. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

I too was looking for this information. The watch will be extremely useful if the answer is yes that it will mirror all iPhone notifications

3. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I suspect it won't be able to mirror iPhone notifications as it will have no contact with the phone.
    Maybe if you had the app installed on the watch also, however they were quite sparse in the keynote about 'compatible apps'.

4. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

5. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

I was really hoping the complications that pull data (weather, etc.) could be updated by cellular and things like Gmail notifications would also work. I'm ready to pull the trigger if this is true, but I'd be real hesitant if it isn't.

6. al0kz macrumors member

As much as I hope it will, I really doubt it. Based on the not so stellar battery life with LTE in use all the time, I’d imagine the feature set sans iPhone would be push from stock apps at the most

7. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

I think this completely changes the freedom value of the watch.

8. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

I just chatted with Apple Support to get some answers. As I have received incorrect responses before, please take this with a grain of salt:

When I asked if 3rd party complications could pull data across cellular, I was told, "There is no reason it cannot, however the developer will have to post an update on the app."

When I asked about 3rd party notifications (like Gmail), I was told, "...if it is not connected to an iPhone 6 or newer, it will not work."

That is really too bad. I was really hoping for updates while I wasn't connected to my iPhone.

9. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

Assuming most big developers will update the app so the watch can receive standalone notifications. May not be at launch but shortly thereafter , based on what you are saying.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    They did mention during the presentation that Wechat is an app that would work ,so obviously third party apps can work. I’m assuming the developers need to update or create new apps for the platform.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The downside of all apps using the cellular radio is battery life. If multiple apps are constantly pulling data down, I'd worry that the battery life will plummet

11. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

Notifications are important for the watch to be a true phone replacement when away from the phone for a few hours.

12. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I would assume notifications will work for apps that's on your watch.

13. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

So you want notifications for all your apps and then you can't act on them since you will have to go home, pick up your phone you left behind because you got the LTE edition, and read the notification. Then back down to the ocean and keep surfing without your phone.

14. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

That’s funny :). Actually I’m a stock trader and manage capital for myself and clients. Would really just like to see notifications of my order fills. Do t need to do anything , as always have my order book full but would like to see when I make $$ when at the beach. :)