Third party push e-mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I am mainly thinking about Gmail here.

Does anybody who knows about the push technology more than I do think someone like Google would offer a Gmail push app for using their service? Since Apple is operating that mystery server that would do that process for stuff like IM, I would assume Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. could create an app. I wonder this because it would cut into the Mobile Me stuff if you could get the same stuff kind of for free.

2. heyp macrumors 6502

www.emoze.com supports gmail and push to the iphone... i was thinking of setting it up to get rid of sms

alternatively, i'd like to see an app that does all this using apple's cloud... it would be great if it could interface with your contacts and automatically put in the @messaging.sprintpcs.com or @txt.att.net or whatever the carrier may be...then no need for sms

3. donnie3000 macrumors member

I suspect if this is accurate, Google may be planning on allowing us to select 'push' for Gmail. I am only speculating though. Of course, Yahoo already provide push email.

4. heyp macrumors 6502

that doesn't really say or imply anything about gmail pushing

5. iWizzard macrumors regular

The thing I most like with webbased gmail is "conversations" is there anny plans for a native email application that uses "conversations"?

6. donnie3000 macrumors member

It shows Gmail in a list where there are options to 'fetch' or 'push'. Admittedly, it shows Gmail currently set to 'fetch', but it is reasonable to speculate that Google may want to provide the option to choose 'push' now that there appears to be a standard option for it...

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Unfortunately in those settings now, GMail only has the options of Fetch and Manual. That screenshot does not give any indications at all if GMail plans on implementing push IMAP service. I'm pretty sure the iPhone is able to detect whether Push IMAP is implemented on the email server in the settings for each account, so all Google would have to do is implement it and the iPhone would detect it.