Third Party Retina Screen Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gamerish, Feb 20, 2014.

1. gamerish macrumors member

So I went to Apple today to get what I thought were some dead pixels fixed when the Genius informed me that they weren't dead pixels but micro-scratches. I never touch my display, nor does anything else, and asked him where they came from. He said they're from dust or other particles on the keyboard scratching the screen when you close the lid, which normally isn't a problem but the Retinas don't have an outer glass panel so the screen is directly scratched itself.

Long-story short, it's not covered under Applecare (which I think is complete ******** since that's a major design flaw, not anything I did to it - I would have had a screen protector on since day one if they told this would happen when I bought it) and it's $630 to get it replaced. Anybody know of any reputable 3rd party repair places that'll replace the screen for cheaper?

And if you don't have a screen protector on your Retina, get one. Now.

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Id contact apple on that, either you were wrongly informed or that should be covered.

3. gamerish thread starter macrumors member

I did call after my appointment. They said the same thing - micro-scratches from the keyboard aren't covered under Applecare.

First time Apple customer service has ever let me down, but this really is complete nonsense.

4. ztastik macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear that!

What model exactly do you have?

5. gamerish thread starter macrumors member

6. accountforit macrumors 6502a

This is terrible. They know about the issue and don't forewarn the consumer. You would think they would put a small warning inside warning of the potential damage small particles can cause.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The screen can be scratched and no they don't cover this under warranty. Save for the HTC, nobody covers the display for scratches and damage.