Third party screen replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UnLiMiTeD558, May 29, 2017.

1. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502

sadly I shattered the screen on my 6s Plus the other day, still fully functions and works buts it's pretty badly shattered.

My question is, do I just take it to Apple and pay the $189 (Canadian) for them to replace ithe screen or are most mobile phone repair places just as good for glass replacement? I don't wanna cheap out on the screen, but if I can save a few bucks somewhere I would like to. What are most experiences when going through a third party shop? Do most use oem screens?

Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

It's a Catch-22. Some vendors use OEM parts, some do not. I'd research any local vendor before trying them out if you choose to go that route.

Keep in mind, Apple's policy changed so that a third party screen (non-OEM part) will no longer void your warranty (if you have warranty or AC+ left) if you need a future repair that is unrelated to your screen.

iCracked can also come to you. I believe they operate in Canada.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure if any real oem parts used by Apple are sold to the public.
    I know there is some good screen replacements out there and some pretty bad/cheap knockoffs.
    It's a risk. How much money will you be saving going with 3rd party compared to one from the Apple Store?

4. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I used icracked. They did a great job on my old iPhone 5.

5. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

Icracked isn't in my area unfortunately. First place I found was actually charging $60 more then Apple lol

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

According to one third party vendor who posted here some time ago, they don't - unless you're one of those authorized repair shops because Apple doesn't have a local store.

Some third party vendors will scavenge phones off ebay for the 'OEM' parts and use those parts for replacement.

7. Susurs macrumors 6502a

Susurs

At least here in Latvia, they have mastered (are offering a lot) a technique when 3rd party repair services take your damaged screen assembly and replace/ glue only new glass to the original display if it's not damaged itself...
    I think I saw something like this selling somewhere on the e-bay as well...
    Looks pretty good if done properly..

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, they might have special equipment to do that. Because it would be very hard to accomplish without since all 3 pieces are fuzed together and not meant to separate.
    And since just the glass is way cheaper without having to throw away and get a new digitizer and LCD you could also save some money.

9. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'd only do it at Apple but I'm weird like that. I only buy Apple cases for the most part too.

10. BigMcGuire, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Edit: Thanks to eyoungren - Apple now allows this -- please see following posts below this one.

My sister paid a mall vendor to replace the screen on her iPhone 6s. Big mistake... Screen popped off a month later (basically falling off the housing) - they agreed to fix it but the replacement lost adhesion on the right side. So she took it to Apple and they refused to touch the phone as soon as they saw the 3rd party replacement.

So she took it to another 3rd party vendor who agreed to fix it and guarantee their work - paid a little bit more ---- screen stayed put but had some serious problems like random clicking, etc...

Can't say I'd recommend it but seems like a lot of people have success stories.

I'd ONLY ever do it at Apple even though I'm 1+ hour away from the nearest Apple store. I want to maintain my Applecare+ - a big reason why I buy Apple products.

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

How long ago was that?

Apple has changed it's policy on third party screens.

For myself though, there are only two reasons I'd use a third party for a broken screen. 1) A device out of warranty that is either not being used as a primary device or is just not being used much. 2) A device that is close to the end of it's lease. In this scenario, the device is being turned in so it's cheaper to replace a screen via third party.

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Two years ago to a year ago, I'll have to ask her next time I see her. I think 2 years ago? All I know is she walked into the Apple Store for a problem not related to the screen, they said they wouldn't touch the phone because of 3rd party replacement parts (the screen was popping off).

13. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

OK, that's right then.

This change happened in February.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/third-party-iphone-screen-repairs-now-allowed/

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

before we had a pressure sensitive screen it was not so bad but the screen is very tricky now to get right. my wife cracked her 6s+ screen and when apple replaced it or tried too they failed and replaced the phone. I guess it is tricky to get the calibration accurate.

16. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I had a 6+ in September 2015 that I shattered the screen on.

Apple replaced the phone for the cost of the screen repair. They did that because at the time I brought the phone in iOS 9 had just dropped and they were having issues which prevented my device from fully booting. That's what they told me anyway.

I know the real reason was because the Apple 'genius' was not listening to me and chose to simply update my jailbroken device instead of DFU mode and restoring. That put it into a bootloop that the Apple techs couldn't figure out how to fix it seems.

I would have felt bad about it only if the genius had bothered to listen to me. But her prissy attitude because I was jailbroken changed all that.