Third-party SSD - Stay on Mavericks or Upgrade to Yosemite?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by zooby, Mar 24, 2015.

1. zooby, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Taz Mangus, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Third party SSD and Yosemite: http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-yosemite-and-third-party-ssds-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

There is one third party SSD that is configured to look like a Apple OEM SSD: http://www.angelbird.com/en/conf/ssd-wrk-651/#. Many people have reported there is no a issue using it in Yosemite and no hack is required to get Trim to work. I personally have no experience using that SSD. I am not suggesting that you buy it, I only mention it as a point of reference.

3. thekayman macrumors 6502

I have an early '09 MBP (2.66 C2D) with a Samsung SSD. I'm currently running the 10.10.3 beta.

Upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite, your performance will take a significant hit, but not because of the SSD, for which you can still enable trim, but because the cpu/gpu are too old and weak. Your laptop will still be perfectly usable, but gone is the smoothness of Mavericks.

Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice performance for:
    - the look of Yosemite
    - the integration with iOS (text / call forwarding, mainly)
    - the new Photos app which I absolutely love. I never warmed up to iPhoto in the six years of owning a Mac, but Photos is excellent for organizing and viewing photos.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I say....

Go to Yosemite if you like it.

Insofar as TRIM is concerned, don't even worry about it. I've been using a Crucial SSD mounted in a plugable.com "lay-flat" USB3/SATA dock for a year now, as my "external booter" for a late-2012 Mac Mini. It was impossible to enable TRIM with it, because the connection is USB.

The verdict, after a year of steady usage:
    The SSD still boots and runs as fast as when new.
    For me, even with heavy usage, the lack of TRIM has made NO DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE at all.

I sense that in your case, the results will be the same.

My opinion only. Others will disagree. Some will disagree vehemently.