Third party stylus with iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skinnerband, Nov 11, 2015.

1. skinnerband macrumors member

skinnerband

Sorry if it's been asked and answered, but does anyone know if third party styluses will work with the iPad Pro? I have the Adonit Jot Touch and while I'm sure the Apple Pencil will be better with the iPad Pro, I'm wondering if I can get away with what I have until the Pencil is readily available. Thanks in advance!

2. the future macrumors 6502a

Sure. Any stylus with capacitive tip will work the same as on all other iPads.

3. skinnerband thread starter macrumors member

skinnerband

Great, thanks for the quick answer!

4. the future macrumors 6502a

No problem! But you'll really, really want the Apple Pencil. I tried it in the store today and it's absolutely awesome.

5. skinnerband thread starter macrumors member

skinnerband

You are so right, I definitely want the Apple Pencil, I tried it today at the store and it was awesome. I just didn't want to bring home the iPad Pro and not be able to draw with it for two weeks, or however long it will take to get the Pencil!

6. the future macrumors 6502a

I hear you … my Pro will be delivered tomorrow, the Pencil November 19-23 … and I actually ordered the Pencil first because I suspected there will be a shortage.

7. bensisko macrumors 65816

Nope - Third party stylus are NOT working with the iPad Pro. 53's Pencil works in Paper, but not other apps. Others by Wacom and Adobe are NOT working (tested in Sketchbook, OneNote, Adobe Apps).

Very upset given the shortage of Apple Pencil. Thought one of my old 3rd party stylus would hold me over, but nope!

8. deezydesigns macrumors newbie

The pencil by 53 is working for me. But just asking which ipad did u get just WiFi or the lte

9. bensisko macrumors 65816

The 53 Pencil works fine for me in Paper but not at all in other apps like One Note.

I bought the 128 WiFi.

10. the future macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what your problem is but this doesn't make any sense. Any capacitive stylus will definitely work because otherwise your fingers wouldn't work either.

I just tried my bamboo and adonit styli; they both work in the Notes app as well as in the Paper (53) app.

11. bensisko macrumors 65816

Are the tips on your stylus hard or soft? The soft ones (like the 53 Pencil) still (sort of) work (the Pro's surface has an extra grip that makes it more difficult for the soft stylus to move as freely across the screen), but the fine-point ones do not.

My experience has been echoed by many users across various mac-related sites. I keep hoping it's something I can fix, or a setting somewhere, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

12. the future macrumors 6502a

The bamboo one is soft, the adonit one is hard (with that little disk on top).

If anything, both actually seem to work better / more precise than on the Air 2.

Do you have links to those other discussions?