Third-party USB Dongles - do they work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DeltaHF, May 14, 2008.

1. DeltaHF macrumors member

It's time for me to purchase an USB/Ethernet dongle for my MBA, but before I spent $30 on the official Apple device I shopped around eBay to see what I could find. Sure enough, there's a plethora of such adapters available for only a few dollars. The question, though: do they work with the MBA? Is anyone else easily and successfully using a third-party adapter?

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i have read that any usb should work wth the mba. however, the superdrive will not work when plugged into a usb hub. it only works when directly plugged into the mba usb plug.

3. n0de macrumors 6502

My linksys USB ethernet dongle does not work with my MBAir.

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

oops i read your post wrong. i guess with the usb/ethernet converter, i would just buy it from apple to insure compatibility.

5. weeyao macrumors newbie

BUy the original. Bought a third party one and installed osx drivers and my MBA could see the adaptor but refused to connect to the internet. No solutions for it so far. I too, am thinking of springing for an original.

6. Shrek-Moscow macrumors member

The original USB-Ethernet adapter work just fine.
    I don't really understand people who buy such an expensive laptop and then look on ebay to shave 10$ on the accessories..
    Come on, we are talking about a 30$ adapter.. just buy it!

:)

7. Maui19 macrumors regular

I bought one at Radio Shack. It was 100% plug and play and worked perfectly. It was $5 more than the Apple version, and much larger (and uglier), but I was in a pinch while traveling and the nearest Apple store was 4 hours away.

8. Shrek-Moscow macrumors member

this is a good reason.. :)