Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaHF

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
It's time for me to purchase an USB/Ethernet dongle for my MBA, but before I spent $30 on the official Apple device I shopped around eBay to see what I could find. Sure enough, there's a plethora of such adapters available for only a few dollars. The question, though: do they work with the MBA? Is anyone else easily and successfully using a third-party adapter?

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
i have read that any usb should work wth the mba. however, the superdrive will not work when plugged into a usb hub. it only works when directly plugged into the mba usb plug.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
oops i read your post wrong. i guess with the usb/ethernet converter, i would just buy it from apple to insure compatibility.

weeyao

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
BUy the original. Bought a third party one and installed osx drivers and my MBA could see the adaptor but refused to connect to the internet. No solutions for it so far. I too, am thinking of springing for an original.

Shrek-Moscow

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
The original USB-Ethernet adapter work just fine.
I don't really understand people who buy such an expensive laptop and then look on ebay to shave 10$ on the accessories..
Come on, we are talking about a 30$ adapter.. just buy it!

:)

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2007
I bought one at Radio Shack. It was 100% plug and play and worked perfectly. It was $5 more than the Apple version, and much larger (and uglier), but I was in a pinch while traveling and the nearest Apple store was 4 hours away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.