Third time around, SAME problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Molopo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Molopo macrumors regular

Every time I install XP, the first time I boot it up everything works perfectly. All the drivers are properly installed, the keyboard fully works; etc. Then the problems start... The sound randomly stops working, the extra functions F1, F2, F7/8/9, F10/11/12 stop working, and more. Is there a fix/update for this? I'm mostly just concerned with the function keys not working (I can't adjust brightness or volume with my function keys), since that was the most useful thing. Help please, and thanks.

P.S.: This is my THIRD install of XP. Same problem every time. Have already tried reinstalling drivers.

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

You're install XP based from boot camp? Also, is it XP 64?

If it's not XP 64 and you're installing it from bootcamp, try inserting the OSX restore disk while in XP. You will get Apple Drivers for XP from that.

3. Molopo thread starter macrumors regular

Not quite sure what you mean by "XP 64", but if what you intended to ask was if it was XP 64-bit, then no it was not. It was XP Pro SP3, 32-bit.

Please don't insult my intelligence - I know that I need to install drivers from the OSX install disc. I mentioned in my first post that I had already tried reinstalling the drivers.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Excuse me if I didn't search to find all your posts. I am a bit busy. I assumed you would have summed up all three in this post. And please don't insult me. I'm trying to offer you some help and you being snooty about it isn't encouraging me or others to help you.

Now onto business. Are you using boot camp version 2.1 and not 2.0? I'm going to assume you know how to check so your intelligence isn't insulted.

2.1 is important for XP - 32 Bit - SP3. This is from the Apple Website:

Important: Installation of Boot Camp 2.1 is required before installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

If you don't have it, Google for the Apple download. Again, I wouldn't want to insult your intelligence.

5. Molopo thread starter macrumors regular

Shouldn't have required a whole lot of searching, but I accept that everyone is different.

I would have already installed bootcamp 2.1, but I can't find a .dmg of it anywhere. All of them are .exe's, and give me gibberish when I try to open them. If there's a way to open .exe files in OS X, feel free to enlighten me.

-Thanks.

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

You would have to open it in windows. It's a driver update... you might as well give it a shot.

Here's what I would do:
    Run Boot Camp 2.0. During the first boot, install the .exe file.
    Reboot.

Like I said, give it a shot. If there is an issue, we can work on it from there.

BTW- have you ran the Apple Update in Windows? I would think that the 2.1 drivers would show up in there.

My thought process is this:
    Boot Camp 2.0 is geared to Windows XP SP2. When they released SP3, it messed with the drivers. If you install 2.1 in windows, that will update the drivers and you should have stuff working again.