Third time's a charm....right?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Mar 1, 2011.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

So here's what happened. As some of you know, I got my new 15' 2011 MBP last Sunday. So happy, right??? Well, today it wouldn't work anymore. I would turn it on, and the screen would just stay white. No Apple logo. :(

So I decided to go to the nearest Apple store. Got there, told my problem to the Apple dude, and he didn't even take my MBP out of the box, to take a look at it. All he did was ask me if I wanted a refund or to exchange it. WOW, I was :D.

So I told him that I would like to exchange for a new one. So he went in the back, and brought me a brand new MBP. I was so thrilled. But before I left the store, I decided to open my new toy there, just to make sure everything was working fine. So checked everything, and everything was working great.

So I got home, replaced the HDD and the 4GB memory with my SSD and 8GB memory. Everything was working fine. So I went upstairs, to grab my iWork CD, to install it. (I knew everything was going way to good to be true.:() Anyways, I insert the CD, and the CD Drive starts making this really obnoxious noise. I'm like, "Oh great, another trip to the Apple store tomorrow'. So I tried other CDs to make sure it wasn't just that particular CD, and unfortunately, it wasn't.

Don't know if u guys care or not, but I shot a couple of videos with my iPod, that I tend to show the Apple dude tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtsHmW7j0sE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBVHvQRWNiM

So, here's a quick question. Has anyone ever had their MBP, or any Apple product break on them more than once on such short period of time, and did u guys have any problems replacing it, more than once???

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

apple's policy is to pretty much keep replacing it until you do not have a faulty machine - it is within warranty so you can have it replace 30 times if you wish.

it just sucks that this has happened twice to you now :(

could it be the RAM, or SSD?

what brand/type are they?

3. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

I have a OWC 8GB Ram, and OCZ Vertez 2 SSD.

I highly doubt its the RAM or the SSD, since they both worked fine on my old MBP 2009.

4. shoegal macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Twice! First one had a defective hard drive, second one defective SuperDrive. They replaced the first one, tried to repair second one and when that failed, promised another replacement. I'm waiting for my new replacement now!

5. shoegal macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Twice! First one had a defected hard drive, second one defected SuperDrive. They replaced the first one, tried to repair second one and when that failed, promised another replacement. I'm waiting for my new replacement now!

6. deeesea macrumors 6502

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Shoot that **** in Landscape.

Other than that, dang sucks OP. it happens though, my first one had this weird dark spot on the LCD, it's not noticeable in dark backgrounds, but on macrumours + lighter colours it's quite obvious, so i got it swapped. sucks cos the nearest apple store for me is 127 km's away lol

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

will apple replace machine even after taken apart to upgrade ram and hd?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmmm ok then, i just hope there arent any compatibility issues.

hopefully the 3rd time will be right for you, goodluck!

9. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

TS - I ordered my first MBP (2010) on February 2nd, when I received it, it went faulty after 2 days of usage. I rang them up and the shipped a replacement and collected the old one.

When I got the replacement it was faulty too so now I am in the process of getting another replacement, which will now be the (2011) model.

Moral of the story, Apple will keep replacing them if they are faulty (within warranty), as they should do!

10. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Perhaps not compatible with your new machine...

11. ender land macrumors 6502a

it's in the manual which comes to the computer (instructions on how to do these).