"This accessory is not made for iphone ..." - reason for replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Monty Pavement, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Monty Pavement macrumors regular

Hi

For the past few weeks I've been getting the "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" message.

At first it happened occasionally, but it's been getting worse - it happens every time I use the iphone, and sucks up battery overnight as it flashes up the message every ten minutes or so. It's now started muting sound when it comes up for ipod usage and everything else. BTW this is when it's not plugged into anything!

I've tried gently cleaning the connector and did the hairdryer trick, but no joy.

Although it sounds like a clean cut case of repair or replacement, is it? Or will Apple tell me to give it another clean?

It's a 2G 8Gb by the way.

As for why I can't just pop in to an Apple Store and ask, there isn't one near me, and I've been trying to get home from work early enough to call them without success.

So can anyone let me know?

Ta!

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

Ya know, my first gen would do that with my car radio adapter randomly. I would plug it in, it would play and charge fine, then an hour or two in, it would randomly pop up with that same warning and stop charging.

3. iphonics macrumors member

What accessory are you trying to use???

i get that on my in-dash dvd screen but i just click ok... and open ipod on the screen and it works fine....
    however i also have a AV cable for my iphone 3G and it works for about 30 seconds and then i get that same message and it wont come back.

so i dont know what to say... just depends on the accessory i guess

4. Monty Pavement thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - I edited my original post, but should have made it clearer - this is happening when no accessories are attached.

It's a commom-ish problem, which seems to be caused by dampness, but none of the suggested cures work, and it's getting worse!

5. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

you need to drive however far and bring it in.. thats not normal and theres DEFINITELY something wrong with the iphone..

6. hariraja macrumors newbie

Me too

My 2G iphone has been seems to have the same problem about complaining about accessories when none are attached. This drives down the battery life as well.

Monty Pavement,
    Did you make the trip to the store and If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks,
    Hari Raja

7. kevo0822 macrumors regular

My sister got her original iPhone replaced last week because of this issue. The "This accessory is not made for iPhone" message kept popping up so the Genius spent a couple minutes cleaning the dock connector. Two minutes later, it popped up again so he cleaned it some more. Another two minutes, another error message. So he just said "I'm sick of cleaning this phone. I'm just going to get you a replacement." And he did...