"This accessory is not made to work with the iphone" error message

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by EmptyPockets, Feb 27, 2008.

1. EmptyPockets macrumors regular

I keep getting this error message on my jailbroken/unlocked iphone and its not connected to any accessory?

Anyone know whats up?

2. mixstar336 macrumors regular

Are you using AT&T? could just restore and re-jailbreak. I havent see this error before and haven't heard of it randomly showing up. have you used any accessorys lately? tried poweroff and poweron?

3. jeffmc macrumors 6502

this is WAY too common, it's not a software issue, restoring won't help

you need to contact applecare or an apple store and get it replaced providing at one point you had a legit AT&T contract

4. EmptyPockets thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I have AT&T

So I can just restore (with no trace of jailbreak) and take it into the applestore?

Didn't know this was a hardware issue? It only started happening a few days after jailbreak so i assumed the two were related.

Thanks for the help

5. jeffmc macrumors 6502

ive seen it commonly even on phones that were never jailbroken.

you said it's unlocked though? what do you mean? did you activate the iphone through AT&T

6. EmptyPockets thread starter macrumors regular

I checked both jailbreak and unlock when I ran ziphone.

I activated it through AT&T and still use AT&T

Thanks,

7. jeffmc macrumors 6502

wierd, you didn't need to unlock it.

but yeah. restore the thing to 1.1.4 and activate it via iTunes.

it will have to be 1.1.4 as the first thing they will do to a 1.1.3 phone is update it anyway.

tell them you've reset it and restore it and it didn't fix the issue

provided there is no physical damage you should leave with a new phone.

8. EmptyPockets thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, maybe they'll let me switch it with a 16GB! (I know they won't)

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

check for dust/debris in your dock port, or if it's docked, on the dock connector. I get this from time to time and a blast of air fixes it every time.

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

You could have hacked the device for 3rd party apps with the Jailbreak only and then your visual voicemail would have still worked; just FYI (I'm assuming VVM is broken now, right?) Anyway, Good luck with your issue.

11. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

would i be correct in saying it asks you if you want to use airplane mode as well at this error screen?

If so this is not an error as such, it happens with the vast majority of third party devices especially speakers/docks with audio output.

I get this error using the 1st gen universal dock, it is there to let you know that there may be some interference form the phone aspect of the iphone when using the device....

Which accessory are you trying to use?

12. EmptyPockets thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not using any accessory, the error just randomly pops up.

I restored and upgraded to 1.1.4 and i'm still getting the error.

I just noticed that there is something white in the slot where you plug in the iphone to charge/dock using the usb cable. The bottom of the phone. Did a piece of something get trapped there of was that always there and I didn't notice?

Thanks,

13. Mescolito macrumors newbie

That message appears when I plug my iPhone into the slot of one of those auto FM transmitter (I forgot which brand) that is meant for an iPod. The message appears, yet I'm able to play music through it. Sounds like you have something stuck in the slot on the bottom. Try unplugging it.

14. EmptyPockets thread starter macrumors regular

There was a little white strip of something stuck in the bottom of the phone...:rolleyes:

15. pankaj77 macrumors newbie

Problem fixed for my iphone

The same problem was occurring in my iphone and the battery use to get drained very quickly...... The problem is related to the audio video 3rd party software's in my case it was vlc4iphone....... uninstalled it and got rid of the problem..... such a relief.:):)

16. Midgar777 macrumors newbie

Lol just popped up on mine as I was Reading this thread on my iPhone lol the irony, no idea what causes mine but it's not too frequent so not too bothered about getting a replacement ;)

I'll check for dirty port tomorrow when it's not dark :D I'll keep you posted

17. Midgar777 macrumors newbie

Yeah I managed to pick a crumby dust caterpillar out from the bottom of the iphone slot so hopefully I won't be seeing this error anymore! Oh sorry for reviving this ancient thread by the way :D!

18. grp7719 macrumors newbie

it worked it worked it worked

Howdy:

Was on net today on laptop looking for help for the status message that started coming up randomly on my iPhone.

Was getting the message. Also sound coming from ipod feature was disabled [didn't know why] and the keypad clicks and the click we here when depressing the on/off button when locking the phone. ALL WEREN'T WORKING.

Read the post about debris in the port located at the bottom of the phone potentially being the culprit. And it was!

Immediately after I cleared the 'lint' away all returned to working order. BEAUTIFUL!

SORRY FOR LONG POST HAD TO SHARE.

cheers,

[Alex]