'This Accessory Is Not Supported By This Device'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Jan 11, 2016.

1. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

That's the message I get half the time now when plugging in my iPhone 6 Plus into my dock. Funny thing is, I'm plugging into a 30 pin to lightning adapter attached to an old Apple dock from Apple (their official one with a 30 pin connector, see the attached photos).

My iPhone will still charge despite the occasional warning message. But can someone explain why I get this message to begin with? It's been happening more frequently lately. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. whiskeytown macrumors member

whiskeytown

I'm not sure, but this happened to me yesterday after charging my 6plus overnight via an apple dock and apple lightning cable. The message kept popping up throughout the day, even after it had been removed from the dock.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Hard to nail it down to the exact connection but it's caused by too high of a resistance in the connections. Try cleaning all connections with alcohol or eliminate the multiple adapter situation and plug in directly. This is also caused by third party cables and adapters.

4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

But I want to use a dock and would rather not purchase a new one.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Then you will have to live with the results. Messages and possible charging problems...

6. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

That lighting connection may eventually bend as it's not designed for this. If you do purchase a new Lighting dock, you will find that it is extremely strong.

7. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Not designed how? Aren't these adaptors meant for stuff like this?

8. berlysario macrumors newbie

it's caused by too high of a resistance in the connections.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

It's meant to resist the torque of a 30-pin microphone, cable, etc., not an entire iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2016 ---
    Classic signs of the connection having been damaged from this kind of strain.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not fond of these charging docks as a friend was using one when his cat knocked it off the dresser and it damaged the charging port on his 6+. Had to get his phone replaced with AC+

11. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

But I don't get the message when I plug into the lightning cable that came with my iPhone.

So you say to ditch this dock and purchase an Apple lightning dock instead?

While I don't doubt your correctness, I find it a bit odd that Apple is selling these connectors and plenty of people I imagine are using them in conjunction with a 30 pin dock like myself.

12. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

I honestly don't think a lot of people are doing what you are doing. I can imagine that your phone is hanging precariously on top of that adapter.

Anyways, its likely because the adapter is third party. If its not, then its the loss of efficiency by having an adapter in place. Apple "holds high standards" for their product quality so the iPhone detected a lower quality product when in actually it wasn't.

13. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Bit of trouble shooting required...if you get a genuine 30 pin cable if you have one and use the adapter in-between does it give the error? I've had a couple of 3rd party adapters like you show there and they work for a while then pack up.

If you arent getting the message with the lightning cable directly then one of the dock or adapter is causing the issue.

14. blairh, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016

blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Both dock and adapter are from Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2016 ---
    Great question.

I just tried that. No message so far. It appears the issue is the dock. What I suspect is that the connection isn't as strong when using the dock + adapter. I don't think the 30 pin to lighting adapter is all that great when you dock a heavy iPhone 6 Plus. Probably less of an issue with the iPhone 6/6S.

I think I need to get an Apple lightning dock to avoid the issue moving forward. Just wish they weren't $40 (the white one).

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Try getting the dock from Apple that was made for lightning instead using an adapter.

16. john g. macrumors member

john g.

17. blairh, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016

blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Gonna get the Apple dock. I feel it's the best option. And if it has issues I can bring it back to the Apple store in the future.

I just had a Belkin dock stop working (charge and sync model) after 4 months. I'm in the middle of getting a replacement. PITA. Contact Belkin, provide proof of purchase, mail it to them (on my dime), and I'm still waiting for it to arrive (in fairness it arrived at Belkin yesterday). Plus it's poorly rated on Amazon and I suspect it will stop working again in a matter of months.

18. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I had this happen when I plugged in an official Apple Cable into my car in the USB port. Strange.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My wife's Apple Watch gets this message sometimes on the official charger and power brick. I've seen it on official apple produced lightning cables on iPhones before too, but not terribly recently.

Sorry I don't have an answer, aside from that "it happens"