This accessory is not supported

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JasonHD, Mar 17, 2012.

1. JasonHD macrumors regular

When I plug in the apple hdmi tv out adapter it says the accessory is not supported but still works. Is there a new version of it now?

2. LaurenAJb macrumors member

Mine said that but I just needed to update.

3. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

Update what?

4. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

To the new adaptor. :D

5. SLOWBRA macrumors newbie

I get that same error with my Digital AV adapter.

It would be great to understand what the difference is between the older version and the new one that was just released by Apple.

I only bought it a few days before the launch so it can easily be returned.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Could anyone with the old av adapter and a 3rd gen iPad do a little test?

I was wondering if the "incompatible" older av adapter is outputting 720p vs 1080p (in both mirroring, and 2nd screen app mode)? I would like to think that is why iOS is giving the error message, as maybe the new adapter is always 1080p.

I believe the mirroring is 1080p, and video only playback is 720p, at least on the iPad 2. It would be interesting to see if things change using the older cable on the iPad 3rd gen, and between the old and new adapter.

7. epocx macrumors newbie

Not working at all

Hey there,

I upgraded from a iPad to the iPad 3rd gen and my Apple Digital AV Adapter is not working at all ( This Accessory is not supported ).

I dont think that is right.
    It should state "This Adapter only supports 720p" and let me work with it. Because quite frankly Youtube Videos dont need 1080p, which is the main reason for using this Adapter for me.

It works with the iPhone 4S btw.

Its really not fair, because when you go to the Apple store, you see the Apple Digital AV Adapter is compatible with the ipad 3rd gen. Very missleading.

8. serveradmnstrtr macrumors member

When I plugged the newest AV Adapter (built for the New iPad I presume) into my iPad 2 5.0.1 I received a message stating "Accessory not supprot: Please update to the latest iOS)"

Has anyone seen this? The video never comes on either so it doesn't work at all. I've tried installing Re-Supported and TVOut2 to no avail. AppleTV works fine as expected for use of AirPlay but not the Adapter.

9. LaurenAJb macrumors member

I saw that as well :D

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I get the error message as well, but it still works anyway. I just ignore. It's weird.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't worry about it. If it works, it works. It's just a "scare" tactic to get you to buy a newer model. I have a vintage iPod dock that I use with my iPhone 4, for example. I get the same nag when I dock, but otherwise works as advertised.

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

My HDMI adapter that I got last summer for my b day did not work on the new iPad. It would say not supported, I would click OK, and then nothing would happen. No matter what order I did things in, it never worked.

I took it to the Apple store and they gave me a new one. (The new ones seem to have the little release buttons on the sides). The new one works fine and does not give me the message. HOWEVER......

If I'm out on my home screen, on one of my TVs, it will not broadcast that. I think for anything that's the native Retina resolution, it may not work on some TVs because they just can't support it. On our crappy Vizio in the living room, it works fine. On our big HDTV in the basement, I can get it to work on games and stuff, but videos are a little iffy. They seem to flash in and out.

13. glyndavid macrumors newbie

Just bought a new iPad 3 and the HDMI adaptor. Got the same message about not being supported but it works anyway. At first I plugged in the adaptor into the iPad and the TV and nothing. Ages of time spent headscratching.......finally realised that I had to turn off Bluetooth for the video to send via the cable. Apple TV needs Bluetooth but not to use the cable

14. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1080p in both cases (mirroring and originally 1080p video playback). In this respect, the iPad 2 and 3 behave in exactly the same way.

15. armalig macrumors newbie

HDMI Ipad3 not supported alert

When I plug my adapter in I can get video for approx 1 minute then the IPAD3 alerts out with device not supported - which does not return when you clear the alert?
    Curious as to why it plays for short time and stops ??
    IF I leave it few minutes and reconnect it plays again until same alert...