Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It actually allows you to connect your idevice via hdmi not just a crappy vga cable thst apple allows:
http://appmodo.com/41366/mili-power-set-to-unveil-the-mili-hd-for-iphone-and-ipad-at-2011-ces/

Hopefully it will finally allow good tv out movie playback so you can take your collection (games too) to other ppls houses.

The problem is that most of the other up and coming tablets due this year all have direct HDMI out to any TV so you can play movies, games, apps etc all on your large screen if you want, just by using 1 cheap HDMI cable.

So you can take your tablet round a mates house and watch a movie on his large screen on a friday night with some beers.

The iPad is going to look lacking unless Apple allow their Table to do this also, like most other tablets will allow.

I guess we will have to see that they do for Apple customers.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Why couldnt apple have just included an hdmi adapter on thr ipad? I wouldnt be surprised if the second one also doesnt have it knowing them.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why couldnt apple have just included an hdmi adapter on thr ipad? I wouldnt be surprised if the second one also doesnt have it knowing them.

I think the forums feelings is that Apple want's everyone to buy an Apple TV and have you cart that around with you, than fitting an HDMI out (like virtually all the other tablets look like they are going to have)

It's sad, as it seems they are again putting company profit above useful additions to a product.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel they won't fit an HDMI out as they will think they will hurt their Apple TV sales.

As they say a picture, or video is worth a thousand words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyT0UMWoWQ

Angry Birds starts playing at 57 seconds into the clip.

A shame to see a tablet, NOW that's half the price of the current iPad model doing this out of the box :(

If a cheap Android tablet can do this for it's users, then so should the iPad. IMHO.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Or you can always just use a vga.

Seriously though. A non wide-screen 4:3 1024x768 VGA output in 2011

When most other tablets are going to be outputting 1080p via an HDMI output.

This is the odd thing about Apple they shout long and hard about scrapping old tech like the floppy drive on one hand, and cling on embarrassingly to the past with the other.

I've no doubt many here will disagree and say how wrong all other tablets are going to be in supporting 1080p output directly.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Seriously though. A non wide-screen 4:3 1024x768 VGA output in 2011

When most other tablets are going to be outputting 1080p via an HDMI output.

This is the odd thing about Apple they shout long and hard about scrapping old tech like the floppy drive on one hand, and cling on embarrassingly to the past with the other.

I've no doubt many here will disagree and say how wrong all other tablets are going to be in supporting 1080p output directly.

But, the manufactures that post the fine print on their HDMI output, state the it does not output protected content. I'll find a link for you.

Edit: this is for Droid X. http://cheapdroids.com/Motorola-Droid-X-MB810.html

It's under the camera/video section.

Last edited:

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I'll be greedy and say I'd rather have other people pay for the dongle rather than have myself pay for an extra port that I won't use. Full disclosure: I own and use an AppleTV and Airplay works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.