This accessory may not be supported message

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Oct 11, 2014.

1. bhigh8, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

bhigh8 macrumors 6502

So I have an USB extension I have used for over two years. Why all of a sudden will it give me this message on my iPhone 6. Even though it still charges? And could this be harmful?

2. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any reason why all of a sudden it's doing this. And is it bad for my phone?

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Maybe something to do with amperage or voltage degradation when there is an aftermarket extension? Also, corrosion between contact points in the connectors could trip the warning.

4. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does iphone 6 require more wattage? I can see if this was ipad but it's an iPhone and I have had it for 3 weeks prior to this warning.

5. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Every so often if the voltage and current aren't just right (i.e. pop out of spec momentarily), you can see this message. I've even seen it with a stock iPhone charger and cable once.

If it doesn't happen often, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Notice I said degradation. Your extension cable or another link in your cable may have corroded or had something externally blocking one of the prongs.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

This has happened since I upgraded my 6 to 8.0.2. When it charges up to 100%, the "not supported" message pops up. While I'm using an OEM Lightning cable. So annoying.

It's only happened with 8.0.2, so I'm hoping it's fixed with 8.1 next week.

8. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I still haven't upgraded. I'm still on 8. It has to be something new. Nothing wrong with the cable. Plus these cables are only 3 ft. I need a longer cable. It didn't do it for the first 3 weeks. Now it does it every day. Not sure what solution there is. If it's not hurting the phone then I will keep doing it. But I don't wsnt to mess up the phone or battery.

9. BuffordT macrumors regular

It's NOT the extension. Many people have reported this with OEM charger and cable. It's a bug on the 6/6 plus.

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I find it's completely random every time.... I can almost guarantee mine refuses to charge when below 20% as a way of punishing me for using some cheap cable rather than a gold plated Apple cable!!

11. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using an apple lightning cable but adding a USB extension cord since the 3 ft cord is a joke. Really is pisding me off. Would it do this if I connected lightning to anything. Like laptop or clock radio that has USB Jack.

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

13. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I get that too when I'm charging my phone in the car using a cigarette lighter USB adapter or when I have my phone connected on my desktop. Maybe it thinks it's not factory oem because it's connected to oem adapters.

14. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine charged to 99% or 100 with it plugged in. But not sure when message displays as its charging while i sleep

15. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

reason I ask is because mine gave this message with the OEM cable and once it reached (and stayed on for a bit) 100% it would display the message.

I came to the conclusion that the issue only happend when I had LTE on and was streaming data.

once I turned 3g on (only) the message never showed up.

16. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

Yes, I only get that message when iPhone is fully charged

17. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Also I know this is not hardware issue as I had two IP6's do the exact same thing, i'm guessing its an IOS8 bug

18. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

So does everyone think it's safe to keep charging and getting message?

19. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I don't know to be honest,I feel like there is no trickle charge once it reaches 100% and after a while the phone just gets hot and shuts down the charging as a failsafe.

20. Jaheira12 macrumors newbie

I brought an iPhone 6 recently, it charges just fine with the charger supplied, but the other day I brought 2 new cables one cheapy from KMart the other a good certified brand from Dick Smiths Electronics, both of them come up with the this accessory may not be supported message and do not appear to charge the phone...the genuine cable still works just fine!

This is a big issue for me, if Apple have done this deliberately so that I have to buy their branded cables only and cannot use any other...it is likely I will never buy Apple again, every thing I have read so far people seem to think it is only happening with cheap or damaged cables, but it seems deliberate to me - I can plug my expensive OEM apparently certified cable in and not be supported and not have it work and then plug the apple cable into the same outlet (same apple charger unit) and have it work just fine...:eek:

21. that be me macrumors 6502

To those that are getting this message: does this happen when you charge the device with a computer or with the charger?

22. Jaheira12 macrumors newbie

Both,

I have tried it with the power charger supplied by apple with both the OEM and apple cord and only received the message when using the OEM cord, I have tried plugging both into my laptop with the same result :mad:

I have also tried with a non- apple power point adapter and had the same result also...it is definitely the cord...

23. jpiszcz macrumors regular

I see the exact same thing with a 6 plus, good to know I am not alone. Same deal -- OEM apple charger/cable.