Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ribbon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Hi,

I’m trying to set up my Apple Watch S5, but no matter how I did after several attempts, when I’m done and go to the Health app I always see two copies of the same Apple Watch: one that receives no data (i.e. I can delete it), and another one with the message "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone". The interesting thing is that the latter continues receiving data from the watch, the activity rings work properly, etc. Why this message if everything seems to work properly? And if I go to the watch and try to see the data that was captured, I get a message saying that the watch that is in Health app is not the “watch I’m holding in my hand”.

I tried restarting both iPhone and Watch, repairing them multiple times, and nothing works. At this point I’m not sure if when I had my S3 it was the same. The Apple Support forums have similar messages of people in the same situation that go back to 2015, so I’m at a lost here.

Anyone know of a way to pair the watch/phone “properly”?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I also have the same duplicate entries, just like you described. I was actually about to make a thread about it, but found yours. This is the first time I've ever seen duplicate entries after pairing a watch. My guess is that something in iOS 13 or watchOS 6 is broken. I noticed the same behavior on iOS 13.1 b4 dev and the second to last watchOS 6 beta.

Once I got home on the 20th, I paired my new Series 5 and iPhone 11 Pro Max and noticed the same problem. The good news is that whenever we go to pair a new watch later like a Series 6 or 7, we should be able to delete that one entry with no data. I personally don't see this getting fixed and the entries being combined. I'll be sure to check once 13.1 releases.

I'm a little surprised that the one that says it's not paired is actually recording my our health data.

Last edited:

dave3x

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2013
A few posts about the same thing (two I'd posted, and another poster), all with the same issue. Many posts I've found on Apple's forums even show this being an issue as far back as 2015.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Interesting. Thanks for sharing, dave3x. You really have tested this out per your other posts. I appreciate all the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.