This big... Safari retains your page in cache

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mymacrumorse, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mymacrumorse macrumors member

This is a feature that i did not find in the other thread with the complied feature list of 2.1 and I thought this is big and needs immediate notice from you guys ....

After a while am happy with apple now ....

Alright here it goes ...

Safari retains the page in a cache and if you exit the safari browser and then open the safari again it loads from the place where it left instead of refreshing the page like it did before...

The two images one at 10.56pm and the next one at 10.57pm

The first one was when I opened the safari and it loaded half way thru and exited the safari using the home button and i waited for a minute and then opened the safari again, Guess what the page started loading from where I left before...

This is really cool and this is something I really appreciate... This comes in handy while using gchat in iphone... U chat with someone and u get a call and u exit safari ... U can come back and still retrieve messages sent it chat .... (But then u stay active only for a minute or so and then go offline)

Try gchat and you'll know what am talking about ...

If this feature has been already discovered then kick in my butt for opening and new thread .... But if this has not been discovered am an instant HERO... LOL ....

Either ways this is for guys who did not find this before and did not find in the other threads which has 2.1 features...

Personally I feel Apple should have mentioned this new feature in their update summary page... This is cool for me ...

Attached Files:

2. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

hell yeah !

one thing that needs to be fixed though is that its annoying for a page to have to reload when you press the foward and back buttons ( doesnt happen when using pc browsers)

3. mymacrumorse thread starter macrumors member

Thats true ... The page does refresh when u hit forward or back button... May be they dint think about it :D

4. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Hey, that's cool! Less wasted time! :D

A fix that I would like to see is that when we open a browser, it doesn't
    automatically reload the page unless we manually click the reload button.
    Sometimes it reloads a page when I don't want it to and I have to wait for it.

5. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

There are A LOT of things that are different that Apple did not mention.

Check out this thread ... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=561840

6. vegas-steven macrumors regular

sorry i disagree 100%

i use my iphone for browsing more than i use it for anything else, and i do my ebay business from it when i am out, and i am CONSTANTLY reloading pages all day today.

the worst thing about it is that ebay uses cookies heavily for security and i am constantly having to re-log in because safari does not save these specific cookies when you exit the browser.

so yeah. i can tell you for sure that the behavoir for me at least is NOT any different than it was yesterday, i am afraid.

7. mymacrumorse thread starter macrumors member

You are right .... But I thought this was cool to be mentioned... You should try out the gtalk, that actually got me so excited ... You exit the browser while chatting and after few seconds you come back and see the chats load instantly...

And it really helps when you have an edge connection where the page refreshes every time you exit and get back to the browser ....

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

its a personal communication device

not a portable laptop

:rolleyes:

9. perrysalyer macrumors newbie

You could go to m.digg.com for a quicker load time on EDGE ;)

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Caching the images allows for the zooming in/out effects. This is also true for the other apps. It didn't take the forensic security folks long to realize this includes your e-mail, chats, contact list, recent calls, etc. Most everything you do is cached, including the text you enter and see. So... If you lose it or get arrested your phone has a lot to say about you. :eek:

11. retroneo macrumors 6502a

safari doesn't always quit when you press home, it can run in the background.

you may have just brought it to the foreground again.