This BluRay only works as Windows. Would it work with Parallels?

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
The drive should work in MacOS to read/write data discs.

Movies are a different matter.
DVDs and regular Bluray discs will play with the appropriate software. The software included with drive will be windows only, but MacOS options are available.
4K UHD Bluray discs aren't playable on mac hardware, not even in windows. This is due to the DRM requiring intel SGX (Software Guard eXtension) support in the machines EFI/BIOS, which apple hasn't enabled on any machine that would otherwise support it.

Reactions: TonyK

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
There -are- "solutions" to playing BD on the Mac, but they're "workarounds".

I believe there are 3rd-party apps that can play Bluray on a Mac.
I've never tried them, however.
But they do exist.

Another way to play BD is to "rip it" to a file-on-disk, and then play it that way.
I -think- something like "MakeMKV" (?) can be used for that.
Again, never tried it.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"That wouldn't mean that the player itself is incompatible right?"

I don't think there is any "hardware incompatibility" between the DVD/CD/BD drive and the Mac.
In fact, you can even burn BD discs with it, provided you use the proper software (such as Toast).

"It just means the software that comes with the player is incompatible right?"

Correct. You'll have to find 3rd-party BluRay "viewing" software on your own.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
\It's not! It's just the OWC one works with Macs & PCs out of the box!
If you use a software for the Pioneer, would it be cumbersome to keep having to use the software each time you use it? Or would it not be cumbersome once you download the software?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Your post immediately above doesn't quite make sense.

If you're going to watch a BluRay disc on the Mac, you're going to need 3rd-party software of some kind, because playback of movies on BD discs is not "supported" by the Apple software on ANY Mac.
That's means that ANY BD drive you buy is going to need -some- extra software.

You'll need either:
- A software app that is designed to playback BD ("Mac Blu-ray Player" ??)
or...
- You need to "RIP" the BD disc content into a data format that CAN be played on the Mac (I think you need something called "Make mkv", but not sure on this).

Last edited:

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
So you can both rip and burn Bluray CDs on that Pioneer?

For some other Bluray players I've seen, I read reviews that says that Bluray CDs can be played on Mac straight out of the box without needing extra software. Does that mean the hardware comes with software preinstalled?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"I read reviews that says that Bluray CDs can be played on Mac straight out of the box without needing extra software. Does that mean the hardware comes with software preinstalled?"

You keep asking the same question over and over.

NO. There is no Apple-issued software that can play a BD disc. Steve Jobs was very opposed to this, and called BD "a bag of hurt".

If you want to watch BD discs on a BD drive connected to a Mac, you'll need either 3rd-party software to do this (which is clunky, but at least you can watch the content), or you have to use OTHER 3rd-party software to "rip" the content to a disk file, and then watch it that way.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So you can both rip and burn Bluray CDs on that Pioneer?

For some other Bluray players I've seen, I read reviews that says that Bluray CDs can be played on Mac straight out of the box without needing extra software. Does that mean the hardware comes with software preinstalled?
Could you please link some of these reviews.