This can't be normal...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calviin, Aug 1, 2012.

1. calviin, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

calviin macrumors regular

I have no clue why this is happening but something is broken. I've used Disk Utility, reset the PRAM, etc. and it keeps happening. Any clues?
    2012-07-28 15.35.02.jpg
    2012-07-18 22.48.15.jpg

Edit.
    This is a late 2011 MBP 17" 2.2. It's been running Lion for a while. Have not upgraded to ML yet.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Looks like the graphics chip is on its way out.
    If you still have warranty take it in asap.

3. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Yeah take that straight to Apple, looks like a problem with the graphics card. Does this happen when you are using the integrated HD3000 chip or the AMD 6770? or does it happen with both?

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Yep, that's all perfectly normal! :)

Just kidding. Graphics card must be buggered. Try gfxcardstatus to see if it's on integrated or discrete.

5. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

THat's what I suspected but I'm not actually sure which card... This has been happening for a while and nothing seemed to fix it. As long as Apple fixes it but it looks like they're going to have to either replace the logic board or replace my machine right? Think they still have 17" left?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They will have plenty of 17" spares to cover all those with AC for a long time to come...Whichever GPU has gone, book an appointment and they will probably change the LB.

7. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Take that to Apple ASAP! Since its a late 2011, that will def be under the 1 year standard warranty!

8. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi,

I had this happen on a Mid 2010 17" UMBP - it was a faulty graphics card & Apple replaced the entire logic board. Even so, the problem intermittently happened afterwards but not so extremely - just keep an eye on things when it comes back from repair!

Bazzy!

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Note the massive number of 17" refurbished units that are still available. They are not out of parts, and that won't be an issue in the shorter term. Many people will have that same model with Applecare, meaning these will be warrantied for a long time.

The second thing I'd like to mention is that everyone always applies generic fixes. Under no circumstance would resetting PRAM or reformatting in disk utility correct an error comparable to what you're seeing. This is the kind of thing where you should immediately look at hardware causes. If it's under warranty, any graphics issues including those only seen under high loads should be investigated immediately under warranty. Typically you'll start to see them when a chip is being stressed even if it involves the integrated graphics chip. You may be without your machine for several days. If that is unacceptable, you could inquire about procare. I don't know if they still do that. It used to be $100/yr. It was still possible for a repair to take a while if they didn't have the parts there. Third party authorized repair centers are also an option.

10. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow. Thanks a lot for the info. I simply love the 17" due to the esata port, firewire, 3 USB ports etc so I'd actually prefer to keep it, even to the point that I would refuse a a maxed out rMBP. I'm finishing my summer semester this week so it'll be fine if they keep it for a couple of days. As long as I get it back within a reasonable time frame. But as you can see in the first shot, only finder was open. I was switching back in forth from two finder windows to trash clear my hard drive. Oh well. Looks like I'm going to the Apple store this week.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I could not agree more. I've been using 17" MBP's since they first were released.

Very thin, light and portable for a 17", I not only carry mine frequently, but it gets a tremendous amount of use. I'm sad to see them go.

While I do understand they may not have been a high volume seller, they are a great laptop for those who have a use for the gorgeous and very spacious display.

12. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

So just a little bit of an update. They did replaced the logic board with the symptom being video distortion. HOWEVER, they also replaced the display assembly anti-glare saying wireless function not working, card airpot/bluetooththermalpad/wrapus/ca/latin saying no/poor wifi signal and the housing top case with keyboard us saying that specific keys do not work. My question is, how they did figure out all of this stuff (besides the screen obviously)? My wifi always was fine (except that one display issue that I talked about in a different post). I'm not complaining about it but I'm more curious why and how they swapped it out. Anybody understand the description of parts replaced?