This can't be normal...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EmBePe, Dec 28, 2008.

1. EmBePe macrumors newbie

Well, recently my unibody MBP has been acting up. And the thing is that it is not frequent enough to be devastating but happens pretty often that it gets incredibly frustrating. It happens once every 6-12 hours.

The problem is that when I play WOW or listen to music on itunes or even browse the web on firefox/safari, I get these completely random freeze ups that just immobilizes the computer. No mouse input, no keyboard input, no trackpad input, nothing. And when music was playing, the freeze up just keeps repeating the same note that the song was on at the moment of the freeze up.

I have an appointment with the apple genius tomorrow, and I just wanted your input as to whether I should just live with it or face it head on. And any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

What do you have to do to unfreeze it? In my opinion that is not a live with it kind of problem. The apple folks should definitely either fix it or replace it.

3. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

You could try a fresh reinstall of mac OS and if it continues to happen it could be hardware related.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Could be a dodgy ram stick. That's my first thought.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Happened to my moms whitebook, and it has been plagued with problems ever since. My parents didn't listen to me when I said it was probably a dud machine (my macs have never had problems)

Now i think they wish they did.

Take it to apple, like you are doing :p

P.S. Our problems differed slightly but still in the same category i think.

6. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

hmm Ive had a few lockups since I went 10.5.6.

worst was gfx corruption and same audio played at high pitch until I hard reset. (watching a previously ok film).

Also I not ram usage has been godawful and also the system has seemed sluggish.

Last nite I did a permission repair and weyhey it found loads and fixed em (boot is now back to its speedy old self) and no evidence of mem leak or sluggishness (odd cos I cant see why a permission could cauase a mem leak)

I would have tried a repair install but Ive already packed the disks :(

Maybe try a permissions repair?

(oh its a UniMBP)

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its either a broken ram stick or a damaged hard drive reader, have you dropped the computer recently? perhaps it was malhandled during delivery? the geniuses will send it back to apple who will fix it for you.

8. EmBePe thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to apple store and they replaced the ram sticks for me (They thought that the ram was the problem as well). So far, it's been working flawlessly, keeping my fingers crossed. And for those in the future, as reference, if you encounter frequent lock ups it is likely a ram problem :)