This case business is killing me...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by redman042, Jun 30, 2010.

1. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm going nuts trying to find the right case for my iPhone 4. Spending way too much time lurking here and on the various manufacturers websites. Every day that my phone is naked, I risk damaging it. I need to just find something already and get back to work!

My criteria is this. It has to be fairly minimal, all black in color, and provide good drop protection. I don't want the screen covered and even the back doesn't need to be covered. A bumper type case, with some protrusion on the front and back, will be enough protection for me. But not an Apple bumper - which I love the appearance of but simply can't deal with the openings that are too small for aftermarket plugs and headphones, which I have many of.

Or I'd be okay with a hard shell that covers the back and sides, as long as it's not one of those microshells that only protects against scratches but not drops. There needs to be some felt or rubber in there to allow the case to absorb the shock of a fall without damaging the phone. And it needs to be compatible with a belt clip or holster. For reference, my 3GS was in a Seidio Innocase II combo shell+holster. Great case. Seidio is working on stuff for the iPhone 4 but possibly not soon enough for me. I want something on this phone within a week. But an iFrogz or Belkin will not cut it for me - I just don't like the appearance. I also have checked AT&T multiple times, and found everything they carry looks cheap or is the wrong type.

I know I may have to be patient, but any feedback is appreciated. What are people holding out for?

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Why don't you get a cheap case from eBay, mall kiosk, or a farmers market (dirt mall). Then when a case you like comes out buy that.

Just get something to tide you over for now, without spending $30.

3. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I agree - I'm spending way too much time festering on this issue - and I'm one of the lucky ones that got a bumper before they ran out of them.

To me, its just not enough protection should I drop this on something that's not flat.

4. bender0069 macrumors member

In case it helps. I have a bumper and I can use both my Griffen docking station and Full Metal Jacket ear buds with it. No mods needed

5. koolzero macrumors regular

I don't understand why there aren't cases available from switcheasy or iskin on launch, do they not get any type of a mock up from apple to build their cases off of?

6. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

What about the Griffin PowerBlock / PowerDuo chargers? Are the cable connectors on those small enough to get through the hole on the bottom?

7. glen e macrumors 68030

I hear you.....too much static out there...

Now that I got my bumper and it's ok, and got it to work with my dock,
    I'm sticking with a bumper or two and films front and back

I'm done with this case thing....

8. bender0069 macrumors member

I don't know. I have the griffin simplifi and I can use it without any inserts. Do you use inserts with the Power Duo? Maybe someone else on here has one and can answer.

9. -Slick- macrumors newbie

I too have been looking for cases and I havent even got my phone yet, have bookmarked so many sites! I need a daily case and a durable one to take on holiday and nights out

for you tech 21's iBand looks good http://tech21.uk.com/products-mobile-iphone1.html

its not out yet though so maybe get the cheap ebay case for the time being and hold out for this one

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I know how you feel. I usually hate cases, but I feel like I need to have something for this phone because of how delicate it is. I'm waiting on the bumper myself, and PS screen protectors. There's nothing you can do but just wait it out for now. Go to your local mall and get a cheap silicone one to toss around until you decide for good.

11. Derald Lary macrumors member

12. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

Nevermind... It took all of 1 minute to get my Griffin cable out of the car and compare it to the Apple stock cable. They are identically sized. I'm sure it will work.

So it boils down to a few incompatibilities for me... I have a Scosche Power Adapter for my car's aftermarket iPhone input.

(http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/318/productID/1667)

This converts firewire power to USB power so my iPhone will charge when plugged in. Great product, but the end is FAR to big to fit through the opening on a Bumper. If I do decide to get a Bumper, I'll need one of these to make this work:

http://www.amazon.com/Pin-Dock-Exte...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277915797&sr=1-3

It's a solution, but that will mean a cable plugged into an adapter plugged into an extension cable. What a mess. I'll probably just wrap the whole thing in electrical tape and tuck it behind the dash so only the extension cable sticks out. If I get a Bumper that is.

Then I have the headphone issue. We basically have two over-hear noise-cancelling headphones with 90-degree angle plugs that are too fat for the Bumper. I'll need to get a file out and file down the plastic. Doable, hopefully.

So what am I saying? I'm starting to lean back to the Bumper. I know it's high quality, I just wish the openings were more universal. But maybe I can engineer some fixes (without boring the case holes bigger, which I don't like the idea of).

13. malevolant macrumors 6502

I got a real nice iFrogz case on the 24th at Best Buy

14. leeschill macrumors member

Speck Pixelskin?

15. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

Don't like the texture of the back, unfortunately. Also I haven't actually seen this in a store.

16. random person macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried filing down the dock connector part of the bumper so that third party connectors will fit? For the headphone Jack I've found that serious elbow grease makes my ninety degree angle plug fit just fine but I definitely need to do something about that dock connector issue.

17. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

So my case obsession is over. I can now get on with my life. Thanks to another post here this afternoon, I found out that the Sacramento-area Apple stores got a shipment of bumpers in this afternoon (finally). My wife and I both picked up a bumper today.

Overall we are very happy with them. Of course, the restrictive port openings are already rearing their ugly heads, including for my Griffin connectors, which I THOUGHT would fit but they don't. On visual inspection they looked identical to the Apple stock ones, but I guess they are just a tad too big. Tried filing them down vigorously but it wasn't enough. I might keep at it, or I might just bite the bullet and get a couple of Apple cables which thankfully will work with the Griffin plugs. Bummer.

But in the end, I wanted a case now, I wanted it to be high quality and blend well with the phone, and the bumper was just the thing. Leave it to Apple to make another great product but toss in a sprinkle of frustration just to remind us who is boss. Jerks. I suppose they think the smaller openings are worth it to make the case look cleaner. Or something.

18. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Wow I don't feel so bad now knowing I'm not the only one spending to much time looking for a case. I have a bumper and zagg front and back in a Moshi pouch and I'm happy but I still lurk here and other forums looking at other options lol.

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I went the same route.. and actually i'm not sure why people are moaning about the bumper fit. Mine is quite snug.. some may say 'they revised it!' maybe the ghost armor mm's made a diference.. but i doubt it.

After using a 3gs and power slider, it's nice to keep this one thin.

I have a iphone 2g dock - was wondering if I could mod it.... thinking of busting out the dremel today. Is all the plastic just hard plastic around the connector, or are there innards?

20. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

Seems like everyone but me owns a dremel...

21. saucy1360 macrumors regular

just ordered a belkin grip vue off ebay. i'll use it for awhile and then eventually get an incase when i have the money.

22. roux macrumors newbie

Incipio

Take a look at Incipio. Well made at a reasonable price.

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Please don't dig up 8 month-old threads to post in...

24. roux macrumors newbie

Sorry

I was looking at content and did not pay any attention to date.