This Contest Blows - I Have Become The Ocarina

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by help!!!!!, Jan 23, 2009.

1. help!!!!! macrumors member

Hey guys what's up,
    A few weeks ago I made a video for Smule's "This Contest Blows" contest. I made it in Adobe After Effects CS4 and Final Cut Express 4. I was wondering what you guys thought of my editing skills. (keep in mind that I am only 13) And if you like it, rate it 5 stars! Thx guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP8Dg8RYPxw

Jonah

2. xStep macrumors 68000

3. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

The film had some good editing done to it with the exception of all the wind, were you filming during a hurricane? I would suggest using a windscreen on your mic, buying a shot gun mic with windscreen on it or just simply turn the audio of the video off and simply let the background music you had playing take over. Also, in the middle the volume of the song jumped up real high and about blew me out of my chair. I did like the fact that you avoided all the fancy transitions and just went for fast cuts to each new scene. The blue circles was a neat touch.

I would rate it about a 4 out of 5 stars...:)

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Very nice. I love the things people are able to do with video these days.

OK, you asked for suggestions and constructive criticism, here goes. I'm not a pro editor, by any means, but I like to think I have an eye for at least some of this stuff. :)

1. Use a tripod whenever possible, especially on your first few establishing shots.

2. At about 0:14, toward the end of the shot of you lying on the beach, the camera begins to zoom in for a few frames just before it cuts away. You can make the transition cleaner by cutting back a few frames (in fact if you can afford to lose about a second of footage, you can also cut out the camera shake that happens at 0:13.)

3. The other posters had a good point about wind noise. You can fix some of it by muting your source audio from 0:00 to 0:55 (when the interviews begin). Just let the background music carry it. If you want you can mix in atmospheric sound effects, like kids at the pool, birds, crickets, etc. to replace the natural sounds you took away. You can do the same for the footage at the end of your video, from about 3:30 onwards.

4. Title card at 2:10 -- If it were me, I would have made the title smaller and be consistent about capitalizing words. (Every word is capitalized, except for "that night"... why?) Either all the words are capitalized, or only the first one should be.

5. The dancing smule logo animation stops (the logo disappears) for a few frames before you cut to your eyes opening at 2:30. I would have cut it before the animation stops, to maintain the flow of the scene.

6. The ocarina tone at 3:20 (when you touch the pool) seems much louder than the other ones were.

There's also a little bit of self-inconsistency in your logic. When you walk up the stairs, your feet cause ocarina tones to play... yet this doesn't happen when you walk on the beach or when you walked in your house. I let that slide because I know it's a nice dramatic effect to see the tones when you walk up the stairs. (I wonder if King Midas had the same problem? :) )

Otherwise, nice job! :)

5. help!!!!! thread starter macrumors member

Wow! I was not expecting such good suggestions! Thanks a lot. Just remember, if you liked it, rate it! :)

Jonah