Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickosx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Help! Im trying to install it on a mac pro 3,1 the creation of the usb installer went all ok without errors but after boot I get the message (This copy of install macOS Catalina application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS. Btw I had previously installed it in the same machine with the same method. Just this time I get that error message. Also the creation of the bootable USB with the patcher went ok.
specs:
Mac Pro (Early 2008)
2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Radeon RX 580 8 GB
106104163_903477346800512_8947330965515374155_n.jpg

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Make a fresh bootable installer:
Download Catalina installer again.
Make sure you have the latest version of your dosdude1 Catalina patcher app (currently version 1.4.4)

rickosx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Make a fresh bootable installer:
Download Catalina installer again.
Make sure you have the latest version of your dosdude1 Catalina patcher app (currently version 1.4.4)

done all of it several times, I don't know if there's something I need to do with the terminal or if I'm being paranoid, Apple maybe tampered with the Catalina copy that the tool downloads

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I believe that's the problem I ran into when installing Mojave on a hackintosh. The fix I found was to go to the installer app in Finder, right-click it and "Show Package Contents", navigate to /Contents/SharedSupport and remove the "InstallInfo.plist" file.

Reactions: kazmac

rickosx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
I believe that's the problem I ran into when installing Mojave on a hackintosh. The fix I found was to go to the installer app in Finder, right-click it and "Show Package Contents", navigate to /Contents/SharedSupport and remove the "InstallInfo.plist" file.

Thank you, I'm going to try that

rickosx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018

thank you. That worked, I don't get that message anymore. Only now I get this other message. Any idea what it could be? Very appreciated
106683457_580034619368515_3895143320535062818_n.jpg

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Help! Im trying to install it on a mac pro 3,1 the creation of the usb installer went all ok without errors but after boot I get the message (This copy of install macOS Catalina application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS. Btw I had previously installed it in the same machine with the same method. Just this time I get that error message. Also the creation of the bootable USB with the patcher went ok.
specs:
Mac Pro (Early 2008)
2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Radeon RX 580 8 GB View attachment 930414
I'd try other usb pens

ewu

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
it is because every mac os installer now have a certification which would expired certain amount of time.

so you have to delete your old installer in your disk completely and redownload.

rickosx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
it is because every mac os installer now have a certification which would expired certain amount of time.

so you have to delete your old installer in your disk completely and redownload.

you're right. I solved it by downloading the copy of Catalina directly from apple.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello! I'm going through the same issue with the copy is damaged and I have both the latest patcher and Catalina installer. Could you give me some help, please? Have a MBP 2011 13''
You need a new copy of the installer.

Patrix87

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2020
Québec
Your date is probably wrong and the certificate can't validate.

open terminal and type : date 090722282020

Format is MMDDhhmmYYYY

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I saw that, but I have downloaded the latest Catalina installer from the latest patcher three times already.

Before you re-downloaded the latest Catalina 10.15.6, did you first move the old one to the trash, empty the trash and restart the computer. Maybe also suggest reset PRAM after you empty the trash.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Last edited:

Touftaf

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
For those who are facing the same issue, follow those steps, in the Catalina recovery installer usb stick :

1- set the correct date (working with Catalina installer on the 17/01/2021)
2- in the terminal, run this command : diskutil list and check the volume name of your Catalina installer, example /dev/disk2s10 for me
3- mount the volume of your Catalina installer by running this command : diskutil mount /dev/disk2s10 (diskXsX corresponding to what you found in step 2)
4- go back to the main menu, go to the disk utility, check if the SSD/HDD where you want to install Catalina is mounted, if it's greyed, mount it by clicking on the "Mount" button on the top right
5- Lauch the installation, it should work now
(6- if installation fails or you get the application damaged error again, try changing the date, when you will install Catalina, maybe the certificats will have expired)

PS : Done on a A1286 15" Macbook pro, connected to the internet with an ethernet cable

Last edited:
Reactions: avocadosec

avocadosec

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
For those who are facing the same issue, follow those steps, in the Catalina recovery installer usb stick :

1- set the correct date (working with Catalina installer on the 17/01/2021)
2- in the terminal, run this command : diskutil list and check the volume name of your Catalina installer, example /dev/disk2s10 for me
3- mount the volume of your Catalina installer by running this command : diskutil mount /dev/disk2s10 (diskXsX corresponding to what you found in step 2)
4- go back to the main menu, go to the disk utility, check if the SSD/HDD where you want to install Catalina is mounted, if it's greyed, mount it by clicking on the "Mount" button on the top right
5- Lauch the installation, it should work now
(6- if installation fails or you get the application damaged error again, try changing the date, when you will install Catalina, maybe the certificats will have expired)

PS : Done on a A1286 15" Macbook pro, connected to the internet with an ethernet cable
Thanks! Step 1 (the date) is all that I needed to change.

For others, here is the command:
Format: date {month}{day}{hour}{minute}{year}

Example: date 1116211618

Last edited:

jmp473

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Atlanta
Same problem here and after many attempts cannot seem to be able to get any of the above solutions to work. :confused:
[edit _installation to (same machine) seems to be working after reformatting SSD from APFS to HFS+] :rolleyes:

macOS High Sierra
version: 10.13.6
Mac Pro (Early 2008)
Processor: 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 36GB 667MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Startup Disk: (FusionDrive ST95005620AS)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4095 MB (flashed mac ROM - but no grey pre-boot screen)

Have also researched how to set the correct date but not getting it right and/or still not working.
Even tried installing directly to SSD (Disk1 in Bay1) & not creating a bootable recovery drive, but my machine will not boot from the installer's "boot disk" even if I pull the drive with a working OS (High Sierra).

I see that that the correct release version of Apple's Catalina is listed in Dosdude1's Plist and Plist is locked.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.