This could eclipse even multi touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Jul 18, 2007.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't understand. You have to stand within a certain distance of a webcam and make shapes with your hand to control the stereo? Why not just use a remote? I don't have to point mine anywhere near my stereo for the signals to be understood.

MultiTouch is much more impressive. Webcam gestures have been around for ages, heck you can already do them with a Flash plugin. All they've done here is stick an IR blaster to a computer, which is hardly anything revolutionary.

3. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Multitouch is amazing but imagine controlling a PC without even touching it. You could have a keyboard on screen two dots showing your fingers and type away in mid air- give this 5 years, I'll bet anything on it.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Multi-touch (any touch) requires, well, something to touch.

Touch-only remote controls are considered inferior to multi-button remotes, because you have to look at them. Poor design.

Being able to just wave your hand in the air means you don't need to find that lost remote :)

Of course, when I was growing up in the late 50s and early 60s, every family had voice remote control... it was called, "the youngest kid". Dads sat on couches and called out commands such as 'change the channel" or "adjust the vertical hold" or "wiggle the antenna" to get better pictures.

Young people these days have NO idea how far things have come.

:D

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Hang gestures are next to useless for controlling electronic devices, as there is no tactile feedback.

Part of the issue with touchscreens is that you have no way of knowing if the command has actually been interpreted or not, and hence you can end up pushing a button twice.

Won't work.

6. plasmo macrumors member

Sorta like Minority Report? It's already here... ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bn-zZX9kdc

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Depends. If you wave your hand and the channel or track or volume changes, you have all the feedback you need.

True about touchscreens; you need visual or aural feedback.

As for hand gestures, build one of these for fun!

http://atlasgloves.org/

8. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

It'd be cool if the iphone had an app on it which allowed it to function like the programmable logitech harmony remotes. Then I'd be able to use it as my remote for AV at home ;)