This Could Possibly Be the Sign WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karboN.6, Nov 5, 2010.

1. karboN.6 macrumors regular

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372111,00.asp
    Could this possibly mean that we are nearing an update with the MacBook Pro and it will possibly have USB 3.0!!! They said it can be added to the 15" model and the 17" model but maybe the 13" model will be getting an update soon. :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You do know that those drivers are only for LaCie's own USB 3 cards.

3. karboN.6, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i read that but theres been alot of speculation on the new macbook pros getting USB 3.0.. And could you also inform me please a little better what that article really means because im not seeing the big deal of having USB 3.0 thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have read no such speculation. The only things I've read is that Jobs doesn't like USB 3.0 and Apple is liking LightPeak. This means that Apple will have LightPeak before it (if it) has USB 3.0. USB 3.0 is much faster. It uses fiber optics to attain much faster transfers. If you have a USB 3 device you can use is in a USB 2 or maybe even a 1.1 port, but at 2.0 or 1.1 speeds.

5. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

(+) 1 for LightPeak!

Steve Jobs says that LightPeak is the future. That said, I don't see Apple investing in USB 3.0. Just like HD DVDs were replaced by BluRay, LightPeak will be the successor.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Light Peak is indeed the future of high speed throughput. The biggest challenge being it's total lack of backwards compatibility. Based on data transmission via light in place of wire, it demands every component in the system be compatible to obtain maximum performance. While a hybrid compromise can be made it would largely defeat light peaks major advantage which is speed. That said, and not to be deterred, Intel will push this technology forward. It's highly likely that Apple will be an early adopter and claim all the credit as though they invented it.

Now that Jobs, the mouthpiece, has condemned USB 3.0, a technology which makes the most sense as a bridge to future implementations of future technologies, it will be interesting to watch what Apple actually does.

7. xpcker macrumors regular

i think apple will go for lightpeak... its like fireware connections honestly

hopfully they'll put an usb 3.0 and a lightpeak :D

it would be crazy to have a lacie with lightpeak and able to connect other devices by 3.0 =)

8. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

USB 3 is not endorsed or supported by Intel, meaning it does not work (or work well) on Intel systems. Apple will not be putting USB 3 in any of their computers any time soon (probably not ever). I for one am glad, because LightPeak appears to be much more exciting and promising.

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I agree, the only concern being the amount of time that may elapse before the industry embraces it fully. It's a huge step forward with no backwards compatibilty being it's major hurdle. MS built an empire by keeping backwards compatibilty in the loop, and so did Apple for that matter. A clean break as required by light peak will not gain public acceptance in the same way. Those of us who have the interest and money to make this leap will embrace it, but the rest... Not so much.

10. vant macrumors 65816

You are mistaken. Light Peak is fully backwards compatible with USB1/2/3 (Yes 3), FW, mDP, HDMI, etc.

11. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

ive also read that.

that being said if you really want 3.0 just get a express 34 slot to usb 3.0 adapter.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

ahh finally someone who gets it.

protocol agnostic , people!

13. robertbrian23 macrumors member

so lightpeak and usb 3.0 can't be compatible to the current 13" and 15" models (mid 2010)? kindly confirm

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Err, no. :rolleyes:

15. robertbrian23 macrumors member

cool. i don't need it USB 3.0 and lightpeak for now. :D

16. Julpride macrumors newbie

The only sign i'm waiting for is for the apple store to be down for updates, sadly. :(

17. UmbraClaw macrumors newbie

The whole point of LightPeak is, besides the speed, that it is so versatile. Not only is it backwards compatible, but when the rest of the industry gets on board (or efficient adapters start to surface), you can do away with all other ports.
    This means that you'll have a MBP with a magsafe powerport, and three or four LightPeak ports, and that's it. No need for a minidisplay port when you can just use on of your LightPeak ports to connect with an external screen.
    Versatility, that's the true revolution of LightPeak...

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Source? Maybe with adapters but they add extra cost and are clumsy.

19. CISC-Mac, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

CISC-Mac macrumors newbie