This deal or Haswell rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BAMitUp, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BAMitUp macrumors newbie

So I've been tracking local Best Buys for open box rMBPs to see what deals I could get and came across a rMBP that has:
    • 15"
    • i7 2.7GHZ
    • 16GB RAM
    • 512GB SSD
    • "Excellent" condition

The standing price for the machine is $2399 (off of $2799) and I went ahead and sent an email to the manager and offered to pay $1950 because I'm a student and really need the machine (of which is all true).

He agreed. So now I think I'm getting a good deal on the machine but I don't know if it's worth buying now or waiting till Haswell and buying then (I really want wireless AC). My gut feeling is to buy it and then sell it on Craigslist later for probably at cost ($2141 after taxes), but wanted to gauge your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. jread macrumors regular

That is an incredible deal. I'd buy it. You can always sell it later for more than you paid for it if you decide you want a Haswell 15".

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Nice one. So you can haggle BB open box items? Or is it pretty at the descretion of the manager cause I always thought the prices were non negotiable.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I agree with jread. Buy it for that price and sell it later if you like what comes from the Haswell update better.

5. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Nice! get it now! thats an amazing deal! i have a 17" laptop though with better specs that i got for only $1099 (no discounts) so if youre not set on having a macbook (like i used to be) then let me know if youre interested :cool:

UPDATE: (the name of it and specs are in my signature)

6. IndoX macrumors regular

Speaking as a former best buy employee, the max amount you can get off an open box item is 30%. However, they normally won't price an open box item 30% off - majority of the time the people who get 30% off are employees.

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

8. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

the question is , do you NEED 802.11ac ?

its a good thing, but then how many of us have machines or connections that can max out the 802.11n speed?

do you know that 802.11n maximum throughput is a generous 450Mbps?

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Just go ahead and buy before they sell it! Awsome deal !

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take it now and enjoy this machine. When apple releases the Haswell MBP you can then decide to sell this machine if you wish or keep it.

11. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

What best buy is it :) go get that thing like yesterday

12. B..., Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

B... macrumors 68000

B...

Get it then get a Haswell machine when it comes out.

13. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Now all you need on top of it is for BB to run a 10% off open box coupon as well :) Great deal!

14. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

15. ghoti macrumors member

Nice find. I am hoping to sell my refurb and get a Haswell when they come out.

16. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

In theory. Problem is that it's very difficult to achieve anywhere near that in practice. The main advantage to AC is that it'll be easier to achieve that type of throughput at longer distances. Still, unless you're moving large chunks of data around on your network at long distances, it won't make that big a difference as most people probably get less than 56MBps throughput from their ISPs. I'm lucky to get 1/10 that from mine.

Regardless - BUY THE DARN LAPTOP

>

17. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

indeed, i think most of the bottleneck is on the ISP rather than 802.11 connection.

if TS runs an 8-bay $2k NAS on the network, then he can utilize all the AC bandwidth ... otherwise all that speed would be redundant ...

18. BAMitUp thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I can justify the AC connection because of a gigabit sequential line that will be wired to my apartment in January. I realize that it may be against the "I'm a poor student" story, but I'm getting such a good deal on it that I justified it.

I'll look in to buying it today or tomorrow, the machine has been sitting at the Best Buy for quite a while.

19. adiddas125 macrumors member

Buy it then sell it if you think you want the Haswell. You're still going to be under the warranty right?

20. BAMitUp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not entirely sure, but when I go to purchase it I'll chat with them about it.

Any tips for what I should look for when I go to inspect the machine?

21. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I would check for the screen model, either LG SJA1, LG SJA2 or Samsung. For that you will need the running script, which you would run in terminal mode. You can bring it on a piece of paper, on a document on a pen drive or even pull it from your e-mail. Samsungs are said to be less prone to Image Retention, but if it is an LG would not rule out its purchase based on the price you are getting. (Perhaps would pursue either Applecare or Best Buy extended warranty)

22. BAMitUp thread starter macrumors newbie

Any tips on how to actually search for what kind of monitor it is?

Also any other things I should look for?

23. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Look up the ultimate image retention thread on MacRumors then type that command into terminal.