This device is not compatible... message with headset dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike Coscia, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Mike Coscia macrumors member

When I dock my iphone to recharge it, I get an error message saying the device is not compatible and to reduce interfernce would you like to swith to airplane mode. Is that because the dock as an audio out jack on it?

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha Mike,

I sometimes get the same thing while attempting to use the dock I got with my Apple Bluetooth headset. I connect the dock to my iMac via a USB hub, so I decided to utilize a different port, and it worked for a while. Once the message started up again, I switched back to the original port, and everything's been peachy, at least thus far (now watch - I've just jinxed myself with that comment :D). How does your iPhone dock connect to your Mac/PC? You can try to choose a different USB port and see if that works.

HawaiiMacAddict

3. Mike Coscia thread starter macrumors member

It's not hooked up to a computer, just directly to the wall charger. Hmm will have to give apple a call.

4. criana macrumors member

criana

We have the same problem with both of our dual docks for the iPhone and Headset.

But we noticed this wasn't an issue until 1.1.1. On my husband's iMac he was getting a complete system hang when he went to shut down and the iPhone and headset were in the dock.

They're directly connected to the iMac. Also he'll put it in the dock and get no response, no charge, no sync. He has to unplug the USB cable from the back of the computer and replug it back in.

We tried switching docks to see if that helped. No luck, and since I upgraded to 1.1.1 I have the same problems. Along with the "This device is not designed to work with the iPhone" message.

5. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I have this problem too with my UK iPhone 1.1.2 (the dual dock worked fine with my US iPhone in August).

Is there a solution yet?

6. lifevoyager macrumors newbie

lifevoyager

Hey.......Same problem here........only it's slowly getting worse..
    and my battery life really is very bad.
    Today.....I finally got a message that the USB device had failed:(

After restarting the computer (did nothing) and resetting the i phone a couple times, changing docks, etc........it strangely started working again.....!:confused:

Think I'm gonna send it in...before my year is up to see what's going on.

7. danielborene macrumors newbie

Fix

My problem was even worse, that message would pop up at any given time, during a call, whatever... I was about to throu my iPhone in the garbage can... But I figured out.

I keep my iphone inside my pocket all day long and right at the bottom of the iPhone were you connect your power/sync cable it was very dirty on my, so I cleaned really good inside of my iPhones jack connector, I also cleaned the metal contacts of the connector with a cotton wet in alcohol. You have to use a paper clip or something very small to clean.

After I did that the message never came back again.

I don't know if you have the sAme problem, but it worked for me.