this doesn't sound right...something is missing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

That was my thought too. They say it is because it is a "Development" league, and many of the players have never played before. We had a similar thing when I was growing up, so they had two divisions for players, the Farm system, which was like a Development league, and the Minors, which was a full fledged league, with wins and losses.

The Conspiracy is that the kid didn't want to play for the team sponsored by the league commissioner's boss, so the sponsor said (when the kids team was about to win the season), "kick him out". As some sort of punishment for the kid refusing to be on the sponsor's team. I'm glad to see his teammates standing alongside him, now if only the other coaches and teams would grow a pair and do the same.

I for one hope the ACLU sues the league into oblivion for this discrimination, and violation of civil liberties. Rather than all the useless crap the ACLU us usually doing.

TEG

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Conspiracy or not, it's sending kids a bad message: "Strive for mediocrity.":mad::mad::mad: That's right, be a nobody in the crowd. Don't stand out. Don't excel. Don't strive for greatness. You don't want to be like Mike (his Airness). You want be the second rate player riding the coattails of great ones.:rolleyes:

I hope the kid's family prevails in this case, but I'm not optimistic about his chances. In the US, it's not who's right or wrong that wins. It's who ever has the highest priced lawyers.

4. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I have a feeling there is more to the story than what CNNSI reported. Sure, it makes good reading but I wonder what the reality is.

As a swim coach, I've known Olympic Trial qualifiers to compete in our town's summer league championship. There is no rules against it but I feel it completely against what the summer leagues are for.

If the story is straight, I agree with the above post, that the kids going against him should suck it up and do their best against a good pitcher.

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

I was driving home after working out, getting really ticked about it. Of course, I keep saying..give it time - more will come out, but as it stands now..i'm really p*ssed.

I mean, hey, it's not my kid, but if it happened around here, I would be very vocal.

It does send a really bad message for kids. "It's ok guy....just don't do your homework with all your effort...you might outshine the kids."

"no no no...make sure you miss that last free throw so you don't get 30 points" (to a high school kid)

"if they're behind you again before you score a TD...slow down a bit...don't overtake them too badly," coach to his star running back

The other message it sends to kids is that it's ok to give in and not try hard enough when challenges face us. As a parent, that really ticks me off.

The sucky babe who started this b/c the kid didn't play for his team should be ashamed and kicked out of that league for conduct detrimental to the ethics of sport as far as i'm concerned - what a putz!
    :mad:

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If hockey camps ran that way there would be no NHL.

Stupid.

Better to let the kids learn early that they can't be "good" in all things.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Absolutely! Kids definitely need to learn that there will almost always be somebody better than them at something. (Unless your kid is the next Michael Phelps)

8. SMDrew macrumors member

I say, for one game, let the officials have their way and have the kid play outfield. But everytime an opposing player hits one out of the infield, I'd be running on the field and shouting "he swings too hard; from now on, he's only allowed to bunt".

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm sure plenty of other leagues would love to have him. If he stays disciplined and learns how to pitch well he has a future. and I'm sure any league would want to be associated with a kid that is being coveted by big colleges and baseball teams.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If the kids today ever went through choose-up-sides, I'm sure fully half of them would wind-up under sedation. :p

11. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I was wrong. It seems to be a straight up report. That's crazy. The coaches and other players need to suck it up!

12. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

In a society today where we give out stickers for doing homework, pats on the back for doing chores, and allowance for doing nothing, it's nice to see that many people are upset about pulling this kid because he is too good. That is the point of competing -- be the best. Just as important competitors should want to compete against the best no matter what level.
    Stop giving mediocrity stickers and start giving them a swift kick to get back in there and do his or her best against the best. Softee is an ice cream not an American.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Teachers should tell smart kids to stop doing so well in school.

That would have made kids like me feel better about getting C- to C+ marks in every subject except Phys. Education and Maths.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not to forget that they are all Brides of Christ.

Best not piss Him off, by diddling with his harem.

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Seems like this shines some light onto this debacle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=080827/kreidler

If you wanted your kid to be a better player wouldn't you move him up? Who's parent's are babying/incapacitating who?

16. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

how stupid. if the kid is so much better than them...too bad. deal with the better pitcher. maybe they will learn some lessons from this.

but what should i expect from the same state that suspends high school football coaches for 'beating teams by too many points?' too much babying of the kids, and that's going to hurt them later in life.