This Doesn't Sound Right...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turkish, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Turkish macrumors 6502

Right...

So I talked to Verizon where I have two phones on an account. The contract is up in July of next year.

My plan was to port my number to ATT, and then leave my better half's number on that contract for the rest of the term, hoping I wouldn't have to pay $175.00. Well it turns out they will charge me $175.00, so I figure I'll yank both lines if that is the case.

They tell me I have to pay $350.00 to port both numbers? Isn't it ONE contract with two phones?

I guess I'll go to the Verizon Store and find out for sure, but why should I have to pay $350.00 if it is only one contract?

Anyone experience this?

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

It is a termination charge PER LINE not per contract.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Because they subsidized the cost of two phones.

They have to make back the money on both.

4. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Yup, this sounds normal. You'll find that all cell phone companies charge the ETF on a per line basis.

5. bostonte macrumors regular

That is correct. The contract is per line. So two lines means two times $175. You'll get little sympathy from me, I am "fortunate" enough to have six lines on my Verizon account -- sigh...

Icky, but thats how it always has been on any carrier ive used.

6. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it looks like if I want the iPhone, I have to convince the siginifcant other to stay on with Verizon for two years, or just wait until next July, which I can't see happening.

7. bostonte macrumors regular

Depending on the price of your plan and your usage, you can port the numbers out and then call back and reactivate the line as before. I did this for two lines as I'm keeping the main lines and two lines at 9$ per month for the remainder of the contract is cheaper than the etf.