'This drive has a hardware problem that can't be repaired'

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gavstephenson, Jan 28, 2014.

1. gavstephenson macrumors member

Oh no! I've went into Disk Utility because my iMac has been crashing a lot recently.

When viewing Disk Utility:

'This drive has a hardware problem that can't be repaired.
    Back up as mush of the data as possible and replace the disk.'

:eek:

Oh my god! That sounds bad, doesn't it!
    I don't exactly know what it means by 'drive' and 'disk'.

If any one could give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

iMac

Thank you very much.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=458713&stc=1&d=1390955999

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=458714&stc=1&d=1390955999

Attached Files:

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Back up everything. Get a new HDD. If the Max is still under warranty take it to Apple.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

4. gavstephenson thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both.

I typed my serial number into the link you sent...

'The iMac serial number you entered is not eligible for this program. No further action on your part is needed at this time.'

NOOOOOOOooooooo. Dp you think it would still be worth contacting Apple?

----------

I read this in 'additional information'....

'The program covers affected iMacs for three years after the first retail sale of the unit. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and will provide further updates to this program as needed.'

5. Bear macrumors G3

Bring it to an Apple s\Store. Mention the disk replacement program. At worst they'll give you a quote for replacing the disk. At best they'll replace it for free. Last I heard Apple wants about $265+tax to replace a 1 TB disk in a late 2009.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

"Hey, Apple - I have this same drive that you have replaced for others in the past. I've been a real good customer, and I want to find out if you will still help me, too?"
    Worth asking, and they might agree to replace. You won't know until you try. But, it remains that the drive is likely failing, and a replacement drive is not terribly difficult to install, and wouldn't cost a lot for you to do yourself.

7. gavstephenson thread starter macrumors member

Is this true?

Thanks everybody.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I was suggesting that as a possible conversation that you can have with AppleCare.
    You have a 2009 iMac, with a failing 1 TB internal hard drive.
    You're the one that makes it true, correct?
    If your iMac is now out of the program, because its more than 3 years old, you still may be able (or _not_ able) to convince Apple that it's a reasonable to replace your drive, because the program, AFAIK, is still active for newer Macs.
    You won't know the answer until you ask, and that is the truth…

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

You want an SSD anyway. Focus on the data. Backing up what's there now may result in preserving corrupt files. Do you have older backups you can restore from?

10. gavstephenson thread starter macrumors member

I have been backing up.
    Are you saying that if I get a new harddrive and put all my old data on it, I may screw the new hard drive up too? :(

I do have old back ups. I use time machine.

I had an online chat with Apple. The guy said I would be able to get a free replacement. Hmm. He also told me to ring my nearest Apple Retailer.

I should point out, I'm in the UK.

I rang the Apple retailer. They said they could not tell me if I was eligible for a free replacement until they looked at it. They also said hard drive replacement would take 10 days. 10 days! Is this normal.

Does anyone know how many I would be looking to pay if I had to pay for my replacement hard drive (in the UK).

Thank you all very, very much.

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

They should honor Apple's repair.
    Anyway for replacing the internal drive this instructions will help you:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

No no. The issue is that if the current drive damaged x, y, and z files and those damaged versions are copied to a backup, you could inadvertently copy the damaged files from the backup to the new drive.

Assuming clean OS and app installs, that would just leave documents and prefs. If this is just a few days old issue, restoring from a week prior will get you clean files, avoiding the above scenario.