This ebayer reported me for leaving Positive feedback

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arthursiew, Mar 6, 2009.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Here's what I left to the seller...

Fast Shipping. Item as Described. A+ Seller and Transaction! :D

The seller came back to me and said this...

Why in the world did you leave that annoying feedback. what was D about my transaction.
    I payed $1.29 for that envelope & $2.75 for the postage. That equals $4.04. I lost $1.04 in the postage.
    In addition to that you payed $10.50 for a movie that I payed $35. in Bestbuy.
    Look I hope that you see how really uncalled for the feedback that you left on my record forever.
    Don't expect me to leave you any positive feedback either. And in I WILL report you to ebay for ABUSE OF POWER. You got a great deal and in record time.
    For no reason.....WHY?

He reported me before I told him what that really meant. He probably didn't understand what :D meant and I explained to him. The next morning, I woke up... checked my email and then he said this...

To start I never said anything rude I simply stated facts. It Is against eBay policy to leave a positive feedback along with a negative coment. Besides i looked up all your history of feedbacks and I found that this is not the first time you do this. You messed up a nother seller's perfect 100% for no apparent reason. You have already been reported. Please be advised that you are not allowed to bid on any of my items ever again.
    --------DO NOT RETURN THIS EMAIL--------

Sure, it may have been my first time leaving the smiley face there... but how is that a negative comment?? Nothing affected his feedback score... it's still 100%. Then he actually did report me before solving the problem. I never did mess up another seller's 100% feedback. I only left bad feedback for those who didn't reply to me, didn't ship the item or whatever reason. What should I do?

Update 1: He made things worse... he wrote back to me...

Last time I checked :) that's a happy face. Don't try to change the story.
    It's on paper.

Update 2: Should I direct him to this thread so he will understand that :D means a smiley face too or do you think he/she will get mad for starting a topic on this?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm sure you won't have to do anything. Ebay will see that this guy clearly needs a big pair of pliers to remove the barge pole from his rectum and perhaps a medication adjustment.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you get the item?

Might be a variation of phishing or the person is on drugs.

4. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should take some lessons from this guy :p

Attached Files:

5. stujmac26 macrumors regular

What a tool

Seriously - what's wrong with some people? You clearly did nothing wrong

What's his username?

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Note to self: don't use smilies in eBay feedback.

7. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

lcestimator

Attached Files:

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Just when I thought eBay couldn't get any crazier...

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Are you sure he just didn't get the wrong guy?

10. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Yes. He emailed me twice and was talking about my feedback I left for him. I just reported him saying that he reported me before solving a problem.

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I thought that at first but he clearly references the smiley face as a "D"!

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

This thread reminded me... I've had a seller tell me off in a positive feedback for leaving her a neutral (which she completely deserved, if not a negative) she wrote it IN ALL CAPS as well. I never thought to report it but maybe I will.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What a buffoon.

Since when is a colon and a "D" considered anything but a smiley?

Sure, if you have no clue...but with coherent wording behind it, what would 2 oddly placed characters mean to anyone not in the know? I think theyd assume it was a typo...especially when you consider the "letter grading" ABCD that the A+ negates a D typo.

Id buy something else from him and leave nothing but a cornucopia of smilies as feedback!

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Not everyone understands smilies. I'm in my 30s, computer literate, but still don't know many of them. I've always thought of them as kid's language, to be honest. He's overreacting, but it should be a lesson not to use smilies for feedback. When you are dealing with people with unknown computer experience then you need to simplify the language you use... and that includes smilies!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic, but I can see where he's coming from.

15. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Except they're all over eBay.

I mean, it's not really rare to see people leave smileys, ~~~~~~, ***** :::;;::: and other such junk in feedback comments.

And who'll ever notice it, anyway?

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, yes, but a : D looks like a D - like a D grade. Those other things just look like some sort of spasm.

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

That's hilarious.

I had one newbie ruin my 100% score because he clicked the negative bullet radio button instead of the positive one on the feedback form.

The comment he left was completely positive.

I e-mailed the user to explain what had happened, but he ended up never replying. I then sent three e-mails to eBay asking for the feedback to be removed.

They never did anything about it, just kept sending me form e-mails back with links to their feedback policy that said I would need a court order to get it removed. :rolleyes:

It finally dropped off last month. So, I have my 100% rating back. :D

I would love for someone to come up with a system that really competes with eBay. Between their ridiculously high listing, final value and PayPal fees --- it's not worth it anymore for me.

18. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Just a misunderstanding. The seller is probably new to the English language, and didn't understand what the smiley meant. This is evident in his email to you.

19. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I have to say, that is awesome!

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I was wondering if the next line was on that feedback was "I'd covet your ass in the prison shower"

21. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Simply reading forums looking for answers to a fix of some sort one would[should] realize what these characters mean.

22. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

It's a good idea to direct him to this thread?

23. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

24. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

haha yeah , scroll up from where you linked to, and view the next section it has the title " Widely used smileys" lol Widely used..

Out of curiosity, how long had the guy been an ebay member, maybe he is 'that' new to all this? ...

25. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What a total idiot. Be sure to post what eBay says about the "situation."