This fails I'm so sad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ilovemygeek, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

We went by Apple today b/c my husband's Macbook was cracking and we wanted to do the swap out for the plugs. I also wanted to see what they thought of the fact that my glass was crooked on the iphone, they swapped it out and handed it back to me. When I got home, I realized that "new" one is HORRIBLE! There looks like a bunch of dust stuck under the screen and there are stuck pixels all over it. I immediately called Apple to see if I could come back and just get my old one b/c that one just had crooked glass and I could live with it. They said there was NO way to give me back the old one, but I could come tomorrow and see if they could do anything for me. I don't want a reburb, had I known they were going to give me one, I would have kept my phone. Now I have a box with an iPhone that doesn't match the serial number that I have now. AND, this one has a crappy home button that jams. I'm SO sad, I want my old one back.

2. ec51 macrumors 6502

Exactly why I will deal with a small imperfection on a max $300 electronic device.

3. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I'm so kicking myself. The reason I wanted to see if they could fix it was that the bevel was so crooked, it kept getting stuff stuck in it, despite having a screen protector and a case. Mine was fairly crooked, but my main concern was getting dust under the glass. GAH. This one is so seriously bad in the screen, I swear there looks like a finger print in it.

Ok the grand total is 5 red pixels. One white stuck (visible when on black) and a huge piece of dust. I am hoping this is not considered within specs b/c the one piece of dust is literally in the middle of the screen and as much I use my iPhone to surf the internet, its going to drive me nuts.

and I have a gap on the side where there is light showing through. This one literally has all the problems.

4. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Welcome to the world of iPhone, where quality is just a dream! :p

A few others have had the same issues on here as you're having, and you might want to search around and read them if you have time.

The gist of what you'll get is, when you go back to the Crapple store, tell them what the issue is, and then let them know that you're not going to walk away until you have a fully functional, well built device.

Then, simply grab the phone(s) they give you and go through the checklist one by one. Print it out and show them what you're going to be checking for.

1. Light Leaks
    2. Dust under screen
    3. Misaligned Bezel
    4. Glass not flush with sides
    5. Cracks
    6. Scratches
    7. Stuck buttons
    8. Sunken Raised Buttons
    9. Dead Pixels

Add more if you like. Take a look around here and you'll see some of the more common issues.

Stick to your guns, don't walk away until you're satisfied. If they don't have a good model, then come back in a week or two until you find one that does.

If they give you grief just explain that you've paid a lot of money and that you expect Crapple products to at the very least function and built as intended.

Good luck, and I hope you find a good one.

5. sers macrumors regular

The only issues I have with my phone are light leak and a couple of specks of dust under the screen. Other than that, there are no dead pixels, the glass is flush, the bezel was installed properly, the home button works beautifully, the side buttons are not sunken and it works great.

I was thinking of bringing it in for the light leak and dust, but after reading these forums, I think I'll keep it as it seems to be better than the refurbs.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've had 4 iPhone 3Gs and while replacing my 4th iPhone, I went through 2 more refurbs before I left the store with iPhone #6 (which is a refurb too) and it has the best build quality I've ever seen on a 3G. It seriously looks like the iPhone you see on Apple's website.

My suggestion is, bring the replacement iPhone back, show them the problem and in my opinion you WANT a refurb. Why get a refurb you ask? Because someone in the US took it apart, fixed it, and put it back together a little more carefully than a factory worker in China. Also, don't be shy... check the new iPhone they give you for any imperfections before you leave. They let me take them into the bathroom to check for light leaks with the lights off.

If you don't try, you won't get anywhere. They had a huge drawer full of refurbished iPhones ready to go! Keep asking for another one if you find problems, they'll be happy to make you happy. That's what happened to me.

It's too bad I had to go through 6 before I found the perfect one.

7. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

'Top Free' Section Gone on iPhone App Store?

Meant to start a new thread...my bad :p

8. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

I had some of the issues you're talking about on here, and I took mine back 2 times. My 3rd iphone is great. They gave me a hard time the first time I went to the store... but the 2nd was much easier.

Just go in, explain the problem, and if they aren't helping you ask for a manager. Tell them you want to inspect the phone they give you PRIOR to setting it up to make sure it has no visible issues with the screen, case, or anything else. They'll make good on this I promise you.... i know because the managers at these stores are held to a VERY high standard of customer service from Apple.

One time I went there I gave them a negative review because the "expert" knew absolutely nothing about the device he was working on. He didnt know about updating it, or how to back-up the contacts, he was an idiot. Long story short, the manager told me "we'll do what it takes to make your experience better and to make sure you have a product that is up to the quality you deserve".

End result, I got just that.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

sorry for your woes, but we really need a moratorium on the word fail.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Why are you so against refurbs? If anything they have better quality control than the ones made in bulk in China. Alright, so the electronics are reused from old iPhones, but they're the good parts, they don't put anything defective into it. Then they're extensively tested to make sure they work and look fine. It's just unfortunate that you are one of the few people that have had refurb problems.

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

serves you right

As I have stated before, YOU COULD END UP WITH A WORSE IPHONE than the one you currently have if you try to replace it over a small thing like a "misaligned bezel"

12. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

I disagree with you. Think about the amount of people who have had an issue with their phone (example, 1 or 2 stuck pixels or poor battery life) and have returned the iphone for a different reason they KNEW would be covered under warranty. This is a LOT of people.... in an attempt get the "perfect iphone 3g".

With that said, I can tell you from personal experience the refurb iphones are not ideal quality or any different than the original production iphones. So far everyone I know who's had a replacement iphone 3g has had to take it back at least once, including myself who had to do it twice.

The reason is because Apple takes the phone you have returned and checks ONLY for the problem you have described. They have other basic tests, but they do not include looking for 1 stuck pixel, or battery life that is still within specs but on the low end of the allowance. Then, these phones (considered flaw'd by the public but not by the company) are made available once again as "refurbished", and given out to people who have iphone issues.

It's a vicious endless cycle, caused by us, and continued by Apple.

Sorry Charlie, you tiger now.

What would the world do without you "All Not-knowing" one.....?

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Too true. I knew it was bad when people started using it at work. I just shook my head.

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

If you look through the threads I have started you will notice that I have tried to advance the iPhone community by writing detailed reviews and giving good advice

people on these forums either do not know how, or refuse to search old posts for solid advice that is being given out

btw QuarterSwede I think you did a nice job on the DVD -> iphone DIY

but let's be honest, you know that your thread will go unnoticed while i***ts continue to ask the same question over and over because they are to lazy to search

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Why didn't you check the phone in the store before walking out?

Talk about failure.

16. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

So who makes you the police? Believe me, people would rather you just not reply at all then to reply with a search link.

So, just don't reply.

If it frustrates you that much that people won't search or don't search, then do yourself and everyone else another favor and don't even bother to read posts or threads here.

Come on man, ease up.

For the same reason most people don't, they assume they're getting a good working and physically pleasing device. They shouldn't HAVE to look before they leave the store.

She didn't look for the same reason MOST people don't inspect their fast food from McDonalds before they leave.... "it should all be in the bag".... and then they get home and the fries are missing.

People generally want to trust companies and other individuals... however, they are often let down.

17. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I always check my order if I make a slight change like having them take off the pickles. You'd want to take a test drive of a car before buying it, right? Same thing.

18. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Yeah, i'd inspect it the first time I bought it... but if it went in for a repair I wouldn't be checking the engine to make sure it's still there... i'm going to assume it's all good until I test drive it... (usually outside of the dealership, right? Unless you test drive your cars in the parking lot....) lol

19. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I actually didn't intend for them to switch it, I really just wanted them to pop it in, my husband waited in line for 6 hours for my iPhone and I didn't want to lose it. I brought it in for a repair not an exchange. I didn't check it b/c I had every intention to NOT look for issues. I was about to put on the screen protector when I saw the big piece of dust and then the other problems just sort of escalated. My original did have other problems that I ignored for 3 months (un-even case, dented bezel, etc) I only brought it in b/c crap was getting wedged next to the glass b/c of the gap. Oh and on the moratorium on fail...I use is as a substitute for F***. It keeps me from swearing like a sailor when I'm at the office.

20. Pared macrumors 65816

So you say stupid mother failer? :rolleyes:

Just take it back to the Apple store and show them all the problems. They'll exchange it again for you with no questions asked.

I don't see the big deal.

21. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Bah...they agree with me about it needing to be replaced, but they are out of 16G white ones, so they ordered one for me. Should have it Monday.