Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
This forum has always struggled with Firefox's built in spell check when writing a post. This is the case on macOS, Windows 10, and Linux. I suffer from mild dyslexia, so spell check is big for me. It only catches mispelling about half the time, but the same spell check works perfectly on every other forum I use.

Any other Firefox users notice this?

• Love
Reactions: VulchR

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I don't think that's the forum's fault. Firefox's spell check just sucks. I wish Firefox used the native spell checker but it doesn't. ?‍♂️

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
This forum has always struggled with Firefox's built in spell check when writing a post. This is the case on macOS, Windows 10, and Linux. I suffer from mild dyslexia, so spell check is big for me. It only catches mispelling about half the time, but the same spell check works perfectly on every other forum I use.

Any other Firefox users notice this?

Yes - but I am more than mildly dyslexic, so this is a source of constant frustration for me. That being said, I am uncertain where the problem lies.

[RANT] In general spellcheckers suck and have not progressed since 1980's. Seriously, if I were a software engineer working at Apple, Microsoft, etc, I would be hanging my head in abject shame. Currently spellcheckers check one word at a time even though many spelling errors could be caught by checking word transition probabilities. For instance, 'best wishes' is much more likely than 'bets wishes'. 'To the' is far more likely than 'tot he'. I am not even going to discuss potentially issues with 'got it?'.

For the love of humanity, would some of you clever software engineers take this problem up? FFS.
[/RANT]

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes - but I am more than mildly dyslexic, so this is a source of constant frustration for me. That being said, I am uncertain where the problem lies.

[RANT] In general spellcheckers suck and have not progressed since 1980's. Seriously, if I were a software engineer working at Apple, Microsoft, etc, I would be hanging my head in abject shame. Currently spellcheckers check one word at a time even though many spelling errors could be caught by checking word transition probabilities. For instance, 'best wishes' is much more likely than 'bets wishes'. 'To the' is far more likely than 'tot he'. I am not even going to discuss potentially issues with 'got it?'.

For the love of humanity, would some of you clever software engineers take this problem up? FFS.
[/RANT]
I think that's where add-ons like Grammarly basically come in to fill that type of space.

Reactions: daabido and VulchR

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I think that's where add-ons like Grammarly basically come in to fill that type of space.

I haven't tried it - is it any good? If so, then thank you for the tip. :) Still, it seems to me that proper spell-checking shouldn't be an add-on. Spell-checking has been included as a core function in word processors and operating systems for quite some time.

EDIT: Grammarly sends of the text you write to servers and it seems they can do whatever they want with that information. I work in a sensitive environment and my employer would not allow the equivalent of a keystroke logger on my machine. If they had an option for entirely local processing, I would be interested, but alas....

Last edited:

timidpimpin

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I've tried that, and it didn't help here, but your mileage may vary. It truly seems specific to this site. Like some form of a text formatting incompatibility with this site and Firefox.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I haven't tried it - is it any good? If so, then thank you for the tip. :) Still, it seems to me that proper spell-checking shouldn't be an add-on. Spell-checking has been included as a core function in word processors and operating systems for quite some time.

EDIT: Grammarly sends of the text you write to servers and it seems they can do whatever they want with that information. I work in a sensitive environment and my employer would not allow the equivalent of a keystroke logger on my machine. If they had an option for entirely local processing, I would be interested, but alas....
I haven't really been using something like Grammarly personally, but it seems like those type of services seem to be popping up to basically fill that need. Having those abilities built in in a native way into different OSs, apps, browsers, etc. would certainly be better.

Reactions: VulchR

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've tried that, and it didn't help here, but your mileage may vary. It truly seems specific to this site. Like some form of a text formatting incompatibility with this site and Firefox.
The editor itself in the forums here seems somewhat finicky as there are some oddities when it comes to typing and editing things even using Safari in iOS, fore example.

Reactions: SuperMatt

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i could be wrong, but there's nothign special about the forum software, and since its known that Firefox's spell checker is bad as it is, its more likely the web browser and not the forum software that is causing your issues.

My only suggestion is to switch to a different browser, either for your time here at MR or overall.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
i could be wrong, but there's nothign special about the forum software, and since its known that Firefox's spell checker is bad as it is, its more likely the web browser and not the forum software that is causing your issues.

My only suggestion is to switch to a different browser, either for your time here at MR or overall.
I'd honestly rather have the bad spell check here than use Chrome or Safari. I'm a dyed in the wool Firefox guy. Using something else would be more of a pain than any potential bug. Thanks for your input though!

Reactions: Runs For Fun

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I would only suggest getting a dictionary/spellchecking add-on from Mozilla then.
Firefox isn't the best at switching language for spellchecking (overall?) since I also use the danish language in some posts. I would often, if not always, have to right-click the given comment box and choose my spellchecking language from en-us to da-dk from the right-click menu.

My suggestion about downloading a separate spellchecking add-on is just to throw a few tips in.
I don't use Firefox much anymore - due to, in reality, one single flaw; Before mentioned right-click menu.
I have been a heavy user of Firefox and I like the browser as such. It's just good citizen on macOS it is not.

also, while searching for anything related to the spelling issue I stumbled upon this:
Linguix's Privacy Policy page
Linguix keeping your data safe. We don’t sell your personal data or your content. We don’t store texts you type while using Linguix.

You are the only owner of your content, period.

And of course their website https://linguix.com/

As an alternative to those mentioning they use Grammarly and doesn't subscribe to their 'from-your-computer-to-a-server-for-use-elsewhere-purposes' policy

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

The odd part there is that the OP mentioned not having these issues using Firefox with other forums/sites.

Reactions: timidpimpin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The odd part there is that the OP mentioned not having these issues using Firefox with other forums/sites.
I know that, but generally speaking MR is not doing anything odd or propriety, additionally since FireFox is using the same chromium engine, in theory others should be reporting the issue not just firefox. Perhaps FireFox is doing something that is not compatible or unable to handle the html that is being sent.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I know that, but generally speaking MR is not doing anything odd or propriety, additionally since FireFox is using the same chromium engine, in theory others should be reporting the issue not just firefox. Perhaps FireFox is doing something that is not compatible or unable to handle the html that is being sent.

There is certainly not a chromium engine in Firefox. There is literally nothing Chrome in Firefox.

Mozilla, the owners of Firefox, pre-date Google the company. Let alone Chrome.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It does seem like there are some oddities that people experience when it comes to the post editor:

Reactions: timidpimpin

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I have issues with the forums on iPad... if you start to type a word, then go back and fix an error, it’s as if you just kept typing one big run-on word, and wreaks havoc with the iOS auto correct. Also, holding down delete should delete letters and then speed up to deleting entire words. Instead, it slows way down after deleting the first few characters.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
additionally since FireFox is using the same chromium engine, in theory others should be reporting the issue not just firefox.

Firefox uses Gecko, not Chromium. Firefox (and kind of Safari) are the final bulwarks against complete Chromium domination...

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
On iOS I think Firefox is allowed only to use Chromium or WebKit for their browsers. On macOS it's "do whatever you you please" I hope that Firefox switches from the Rust language over to the WD40 language soon.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
On iOS I think Firefox is allowed only to use Chromium or WebKit for their browsers. On macOS it's "do whatever you you please" I hope that Firefox switches from the Rust language over to the WD40 language soon.
Firefox on iOS, and only on iOS, uses Webkit. Not Chromium.

Again.... Firefox has literally nothing to do with Chrome. There is no Chrome code anywhere in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.