This forum is embarrassing...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MattBP, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattBP, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

MattBP macrumors member

I have been a Macrumors member for a long time (member 2011 - lurker 2007). I do not post often, and go through seasons where I stay away, and seasons when I am on here multiple times a day (around new product launches or upcoming purchases).

I have been visiting very frequently recently with interest in the new iPhone 6, Yosemite, and my newly purchased rMBP. What I have been seeing here is incredibly childish bickering and just downright rude behaviour for no reason. The forum resembles a YouTube comments feed half the time and it is often difficult to find any useful information

I'm shocked by the responses people get when innocently sharing their opinion or questions about which size iPhone to get, or how happy they are with the choice they made. Isn't that what a forum is for?

I belong to a musical instruments forum as well and we think we are petty, have trolls, etc, but Macrumors makes The Gear Page look like a well civilised, polite and friendly place to be.

The MBP and Yosemite sub forums are definitely better than here (still not perfect), and since I have received my iPhone 6 (which is absolutely amazing in every way), that is where you will find me.

Everyone please stop being unnecessarily angry and rude and just be nice to each other.

Ciao

PS - it sounds like an old man rant but I am 26 years old. Some of you really need to grow up.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Thanks for posting that informative piece of text, it has really helped me.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Hmm, I see...

4. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

The OP is correct. Bravo for having the guts to put it out there. I believe there are many more of us that feel the same way.

The last time I was here was back for the ipad2 and it got so nasty I stayed away from here until the 6 plus announcement. I decided to stick around this time for information and support since I hadn't bought an iphone in a while and what I saw here shocked me. It has gotten even worse since the ipad2 days.

This place is quite disappointing. We can be so much better than this.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Clearly people who play musical instruments are more mature than people who use Apple products.

6. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

What about those who play instruments and use Apple products ha ha

7. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

You are an example of the problem
    People telling other people what they should do, how they should behave and believing they they are the authority.

Thanks for the clarification on your age. I thought you were much much younger.

8. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

Yea thanks mate. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, just definitely think we can do better. If you don't care about whether or not someone returns their 6+ because it was too big, don't click on the thread that says "Is the 6+ too big?"

Pretty simple really...

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I do dabble in garage band, but that's about it.:D

On a serious note, I agree with you often. You should take a peek into the political forums.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This is exactly what OP is talking about and I agree. You can disagree without being rude or just move on. It happens at iPhone and major iOS releases and balance will soon be returned to the Force.

11. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

I find this reply really perplexing. Never once did I claim authority, just said we should all be nicer and stop bickering. If this rubs you the wrong way then so be it...

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unfortunately, the maturity level of this forum went down a few years ago when the iPhone started to get subsidized and a bunch of "Cool story bro" posters joined this forum.

13. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

Yea I forget that like me, a lot of people will disappear in a short while. At least when I pop on to troubleshoot or the like there won't be so much of it around. Good point!

14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

I wasn't being rude.

15. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

It's like most forums, it's probably 5% of the people dragging the whole place down. I get what you're saying though.

16. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

Quite possibly. Feels like much higher than 5% in the iPhone forum. Maybe 5% trouble makers of Macrumors overall is more heavily weighted into the iPhone area.

17. Ambush083 macrumors regular

Ambush083

Some men aren't looking for anything logical...

Attached Files:

• 3f4.gif
      3f4.gif
      File size:
      17.9 KB
      Views:
  18. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You are correct. Before someone got the impression that being SEEN with an iPhone equaled instant social standing, this part of MacRumors during a launch was super fun.

Now, there are some threads I have enjoyed, but there are a ton of "Apple made a huge mistake!" "Why doesn't Apple do things the RIGHT WAY???" "Why won't AT&T let me do this upgrade even though I'm not eligible? It must be because Apple sucks and now I want a Samsung Galaxy Note" types of threads.

Which... really, people? It's a PHONE. I've really enjoyed all of my iPhones, and I enjoy upgrading every year. I miss the talks about what changed, things people discovered that were different, or sometimes weren't so obvious tweaks to the new version of iOS, etc.

There's too much griping on here. If the iPhone sucks to you, go buy some other phone. Because, that is exactly what I'd do.

You know when I really started to notice this downhill slide was with the iPhone 5.... I mean, things were unruly with the 4 and the "Antennagate" mess, but it was a valid issue.

With the 5, there was so much bellyaching about not having a flawless exterior that I felt like these people had put those phones under microscopes. Who does that? It's a PHONE.

Anyway... tl;dr?

I agree.

19. Scott1012 macrumors member

I totally agree with the OP point. I think it is a reflection of today's generation of people (lack of moral character and upbringing). Also, in today's online world, it really is the wild west. People feel comfortable on their couches being anonymous and making rude statements that they should never (and would never) say in person. This "firewall" of impersonalization takes the humanity out of those individuals and they probably are like that in a hidden way in their regular lives.

There is never a reason to be disrespectful towards others, especially on a forum that is used to bring people together with a common core interest. This does not imply that their should be agreement all the time. That would make the forum plastic and useless. However, one can always disagree in a nice way without getting personal. Even a small does of humorous sarcasm is ok if it helps to give color to a point.

I hope we can just feel free to ask questions and give opinions without the concern of being insulted. That helps no one.

Just my $0.02 cents.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Well done OP you are totally correct and nice to see somebody actually say what a lot of people must be thinking.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think it is just human nature. Once you run out of new topics or info there is little to do old hands get jaded new people ask the same questions and rinse repeat. Pretty much every forum acts the same way been that way since there was a Internet. As long as new people come into a old forum

22. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

I think it's much worse today. The internet anonymity phenomena alluded to earlier is rife. And there is no shortage of topics right now, new products, new software, betas, problems, etc. An abundance of topics actually.

Also as I mentioned, other forums don't seem to have this problem nearly as bad. I think some of it is age/generation related though many people will break that rule on both sides of the fence.

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The iPhone forum is a few trolls shy of 4chan. Sorry if someone calling it like it is and telling people to act like adults offends your sense of entitlement and right to act however you please.

The pervasive sense of entitlement is one of modern society's worst faults, online and off.

24. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

And now no-one who the thread is directed at will see this thread as it has been moved to the depths of site and forum feedback...

25. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

well to be fair, it's not an iPhone discussion. Imagine what the iPhone forum would look like if they allowed all those children to go off topic at will...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.