This free app could save your life!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sillingworth, Sep 16, 2011.

1. sillingworth, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

sillingworth macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

This app, Advanced 911, lets you text 911, send photos, plus it automatically sends your location (address, GPS lat and long, and Google maps link - Nice).

This is important since the pre-installed iPhone SMS/Texting app, Messages, doesn't support texting to 9-1-1. 911 texts go nowhere! In fact, Advanced 911 is the only app available to do this!

If a 9-1-1 center isn't available, it helps me send a message to a friend with my location asking them to get me help. The app also includes a 911 dialer on the home screen so you can easily call 9-1-1.

It can be downloaded free here (it also has no ads):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/advanced-911/id455783722?mt=8

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

2. Ayman250 macrumors member

Ayman250

Assuming this works the way you explained it, this would be a very helpful app. I'll be sure to get it soon. (May cause trouble if someone else were to use your phone and play with it.) = /

3. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Few US 911 centers ready

The app sounds great. I Googled "texting 911 Washington DC" and found the following article in the Washington Post, 911 systems slow to make shift to text-messaging:

As the “East Coast Rapist” attacked two of her friends in the woods in Prince William County, the teenager knew that if she tried to make a call from her cellphone, the man would hear her voice and things would get even worse. But she had to get help.

She pulled out her cell and started thumbing.
    911 . . . pls noww man with gun,” she wrote in a text message. The urgent plea went out to her mother, father and four friends. But emergency dispatchers at the 911 call center never got it. The emergency line is not equipped for text messaging.

The growth of technology has left 911 behind. Although people can send a text to vote for the next American Idol, they can’t send one to report the East Coast Rapist in Prince William or anywhere else.

Modernizing 911 has taken on renewed urgency as the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks approaches, but actual progress is slow and could be years away in many places. That has prompted questions about how much improvement there has been in public safety communications in the past decade.

Federal and local officials readily acknowledge the need to modernize 911 calls, and they have taken small steps to digitize, but there are no plans in place for how to pay the billions of dollars the upgrade will cost and no timetable has been set.

“The thinking is, ‘I can text almost everyone — why can’t I text 911?’ ” said Jeffrey Horwitz of the Arlington County emergency communications center, which recently completed a $38 million upgrade in anticipation of moving to a digital 911 network. “We need to evolve as the technology evolves.”

Consumer expectation has already outpaced 911 capabilities. When Verizon Wireless customers send a text message to 911, they get this reply: “Please make a voice call to 911.” Other simple actions, including sending 911 a smartphone photo of a car speeding from a robbery, are also impossible.

For decades, almost all of the calls to the nation’s emergency number came from land lines. But now, about 70 percent of the 240 million 911 calls received each year come from wireless phones, according to the Arlington-based National Emergency Number Association.

The Federal Communications Commission, which regulates the 911 number, has taken some steps to improve the system. It asked for public comments on a digitized 911 and is reviewing those comments. FCC officials say they plan to propose rules this year on how to begin the upgrade.

“The shift that we need to make from analog to digital 911 is by far the most important change in 911 since the invention of 911,” said FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, who was an emergency medical technician in college. “There’s a gap between what ordinary people do with technology and the capabilities of our emergency response network.”

After the rules are approved, municipalities could move to the new system on their own, but only as fast as their equipment and budgets will allow. That means that some places will have digital 911 faster than others, and some places might never get it."

Geotagging info to a friend could be useful. I'm interested, but leery of apps from "newbie's" with no public profile.

4. WannaApple?, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting that article..very interesting.

With our service, when 911 centers sign up we also provide them with the software they need on their end to be able to communicate with users of Advanced 911. Geotagging is currently supported. In the event that your local 911 center is not yet participating our app will allow you to send a text to s friend for help which will Aldo automatically include your location and message.

Also just as an FYI, I am a partner in the company that created Advanced 911 and have been a MR member for years. My partner just signed up not realizing I already had an acct and posted. No need to be leary and we're both here to answer any questions. The app is totally free with no ads so there is no risk at all. If you don't like it feel free to delete but we just wanted to get this important word out about emergency texting.

Thanks for your support.

5. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Donation of software??

I doubt any public security agency would accept a donation of software. I really do think the app is a great idea, but ...

Does your app collect information from a user's iPhone (contact list, personal info or what have you)?

6. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

We're not donating any software to a public security agency. They pay for the service and the software is included.

Also we do not collect any information from the phone. There is no use or need for your information nor do I believe it is even allowed. Hope this helps.