This Got My First Macbook Pro 2.8GHz with the 128 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chef On The Go, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Chef On The Go macrumors newbie

This is my first apple notebook I also have a mac pro... Fedex brought this to my restaurant this morning and I went straight to my office and this went crazy.. I order the Top Top of line with the 2.8GHz and the 128 Solid State Drive... Its kind of hard for me to give a review because this is my first note book from apple.. But this thing cost me over $3,000 Im in trouble with my account and wife .. Oh well to late now

So here we go

I booted it up and it took 24.3 flat

I open many apps like imovie, garage band all open with only one bounce

I use handbrake to transfer I dvd movie to iphone took 35 minutes from start to finish the movie was 4.5 GB

Well i was doing that had itunes open, internet, iphoto and notice that the computer was getting very hot ... But only in one place back towards the display area ... Was very hot to touch

I really don't like the new track pad to me it dosn't not respond well... Maybe I have to redo the settings ...

I had a scary point I took out the battery but when I try to put it back in .. I somehow got it in the wrong way and couldn't take it out ... Thank God the apple store is only two blocks away from my restaurant in San Francisco ..

Felt kind of dome but they was able to get it lose I had it in the wrong way

So be careful !!!!

Beside the heat and the trackpad ... This is a pretty fast computer it's faster then the imac 2.8GHz maybe because the Solid State Drive but it moves, boots and respond better then imac...

Also The wifi is pretty strong I get and bars better then the imac I have in my office

If you guys want more info let me know I try my best

2. omegasyn macrumors regular

What model of SSD drives does the macbook pro use?

3. Chef On The Go thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Is Using 128 SSD Type in the macbook pro

I went into about Mac and this is what I got

APPLE SSD SM128:

Capacity: 113 GB
    Model: APPLE SSD SM128
    Revision: VAM0BA1Q
    Serial Number: DFQ6A0A835ED531
    Native Command Queuing: No
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:
    Macintosh HD:
    Capacity: 112.68 GB
    Available: 93.35 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s2
    Mount Point: /

I hope this will help

any more ??? this ask I try my best

Thanks

4. Chef On The Go thread starter macrumors newbie

This Guy really get hot .. I have it setting on my desk by the speakers on both side and under the computer by the display these area are very hot to touch

why do you guys think so... I wouldn't want to use this thing with shorts on.. I have chef pants on and I can fell the heat in them.. My pants are very thick to

Do you think theirs a problem with my macbook or this is how it is ... Maybe because i have the 2.8GHz chip inside ... If i knew that I would this got the 2.5GHz with the 128 SSD

what you guys think

5. Ryvius macrumors member

The heat is a good thing.

Powerful notebook computers generate a lot of heat. They need to get that heat dispelled.

You can go cooler if you get a computer with less powerful components. They will generate some heat though, all notebooks do.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I have the same Macbook Pro. 2.8GHz with the 128GB SSD.

The computer is responding extremely well and is faster than I thought it would be.

Heat hasn't been an issue for me so far, but I haven't started to rip DVDs or anything like that just yet.

7. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

The strip between the display and keys has always been where Apple notebooks traditionally get hottest. As you mentioned, around the speaker grilles and the underside also get pretty warm, this is normal. There's no problem with yours.

8. ptjh macrumors regular

Would either of you be good enough to geekbench/xbench you 2.8 GHz MB Pro's? Would love to see the results against the other processor options :)

9. Coldwater macrumors member

I second this. Mine is in transit and I would like to see how much power that 2.8Ghz chip is going to give me. :D

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

3rd and 4th it :) I really want to see how much power as well :rolleyes: bring on the 3/4 nov!

11. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'll post the Geekbench 32bit, 64bit, and Rosetta benchmarks as soon as this DVD is finished ripping. :D

Edit: Handbrake 0.9.2 is ripping at 41fps on the AppleTV preset if that is interesting to anyone.

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

13. sk47 macrumors member

Yeah, the heat I think is a downside to better performance comps. My 2.5 definitely felt hotter than my buddy's 2.4 as well.

14. radx macrumors newbie

Does anyone actually know who's the manufacturer of this thing? Samsung?
    I am contemplating getting an SSD, but I'd love to know the manufacturer before doing it.

15. LinMac macrumors 65816

I've got one sitting beside me, but I've yet to find out who made it.

16. radx macrumors newbie

Yeah, I wish there was an easy way of finding it out.. other than removing the hdd itself :(

Well I have time till monday to decide and justify that SSD :)

17. LinMac macrumors 65816

Hopefully someone will dismantle it and find out for us. I will end up taking it apart just a bit, but not just yet. I am still busy setting it up right now.

18. BS85 macrumors member

19. LinMac macrumors 65816

Cold start to login screen in about 15 seconds from my count.

20. Mackan macrumors 65816

The reason Apple notebooks get so hot are because they are so thin, and the lack of ventilation holes. The only ventilation holes are at the back of the notebook where the fans blow out hot air (which by the way are somewhat covered by the display). I would say Apple notebooks have a resemblance to ovens...

21. allanibanez macrumors regular

22. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I am extremely envious of your computer. very bad a$$

23. Kr3st macrumors newbie

I'm also very envious of your new setup, and I plan on getting the same exact one!

I just ran Geekbench on my 2.4Ghz, 4GB ram, standard 160GB 5400rpm HD, the setup you have now crushed mine on every test except for one.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/82383

Stream, thats the only test my current MBP beat your setup. What is stream? And why did mine do better then your current setup?

24. ptjh macrumors regular

I don't understand the rosetta /32bit /64 bit ect. Which one can I run pro audio plugins on - are they only compatable with 32 bit?

What is the standard test OS used here so we can compare? http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/

thanks for the tests...awesome!

25. jTreu macrumors 6502

wow nice setup, its great to see the ssd's getting bigger and somewhat more mainstream.